Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Trane XE 80 furnace/ac unit. About 17 years old. Stopped

Customer Question

I have a Trane XE 80 furnace/ac unit. About 17 years old. Stopped working today. The outside unit's fan is turning. The thermostat is set to cool, and at a lower setting than the in-house temp. The circuit breaker is set, not tripped. The inspection glass shows a red flashing light. Not cooling however... no air coming from vents.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! We keep going until you have all of the information you need.[b/]. Extensive training & coaching also available.
At your own risk, remove a service panel from the outside unit that allows you to put your hand on top of the big black compressor in it, and tell me if it is hot or not.
There are two copper tubes attached to it, tell me if the smallest one is hot or not.
To go further you will need a $30 type multi meter to check the motor windings in the compressor.
We can go from there.