HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

I just returned home from vacation only to find my house

Customer Question

Hello, I just returned home from vacation only to find my house temp at about 80 degrees because my lennox central air conditioner will not work. I checked the fuse box and the fuse is fine but when I went outside to listen for the fan and unit to turn on, it simply will not turn on. My home was built in 2007.
I actually just has some technicians come out to my home a month or two ago because the fan would come on but the compressor wouldn't kick on and the tech's said it wasn't getting power tot he unit. How can I check that? Would that be the "Kill Switch"?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.
If neither the fan or the outside unit is running check the outside unit for a push reset button do you see one where the electrical wires come into the outside unit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I see a black thing, I wouldn't call it a button, but it does say on/off. Do I push it?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.
Yes push it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, should I turn the thermostat off before I do anything?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.
Leave the thermostat on and press that button.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, going to push the bottom.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.
OK sounds good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I guess that wasn't a button, it looks like a handle that you pull because I wasn't able to push it. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there another way to "reset" the unit?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.
That is likely just the power switch (breaker). If you have an XC15 or most Lennox units they have a high pressure reset. Look at FIGURE 1 on page 3 at this link. see if you have one there.
http://www.acfurnaceparts.com/Service%20Manuals/XC15.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that makes more sense. Yes, that looks similar to mine unit, not exact but very close. Do I need to remove the access panel then push the high pressure reset button?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.
On most units you would have to remove that panel to get at it. Some you do not and can see, but you would have to get down near the ground to see it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let me try to remove the access panel and I'll let you know what I see before I do anything else. Does that sound like a plan?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I just took off the top (access panel) and there is a ton of wiring that connects to a couple round cylinders then goes into the fan motor but there is a large cage type of thing around the rest of the unit and I don't know if I need to take that off and everything else before getting to everything else...not sure what to do from here, I guess that's what I'm saying. Thoughts?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It must be an older unit than what you sent me, again it looks similar but it has a black metal type of cage around the entire unit.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.
You would need to remove the side access panel to get at the refrigerant lines to see the reset. Depending on the unit that can be a little involved removing that panel, but it should be pretty straightforward. If it has a cage around all of it you need to remove or look at the panel where the electrical wires come into the unit. That is a smaller panel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was only about to open the small panel where the capacitor is, there are what look like 4 screws but it looks like if that comes off then the capacitor area would need to come off too, I have no idea if I should try to take that off or not. I took all of the screws out of the cage but I can't get it off unless I take the fan off of the top.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks easy on your diagram but my unit is different
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea how to get to the switch, I'm just not able to access it so I guess I'm going to have to hire someone to come out and fix it for me.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.
Yes I understand, sorry you can not get it.