Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

What do I do if my a/c isn't cooling to the temperature my

Customer Question

what do I do if my a/c isn't cooling to the temperature my thermostat is set to?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 1 year ago.
Russ here. Welcome. I am here to help. Please do not rate until you are satisfied with answer. Always available for follow up questions. Check outside to see if outside unit is running. Feel large copper line at outside unit and see if it cold and sweating. Take a temperature reading at closest supply vent and subtract from room temp at thermostat. Should about 19 to 21 degrees. Russ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the outside unit is not running and the breaker has not been tripped.
Ok feel the motor on top of unit and see if it is hot. Also check to see if you have a drain switch in drain line that might be tripped. Russ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the motor is not hot and I didn't see any switches on the lines that could be tripped.
If you can remove the access panel outside check to see if the large black relay is energized. Center pulled in all the way. Russ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I check something that looked like a mini breaker box, and pulled the black thing out next to the on/off and then put it back in and nothing happened.
We need to know if you have power to outside unit. You will need to remove outside unit access panel to check this and see contractor,large black open relay,is energized. Russ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can I tell if it's energized?
The center of contractor will be pulled down. If it is not . Take a screw driver and push in center of relay. Russ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is power running through the relay
Sorry crashed here and had to reset WIFI. The relay is energized or you pushed it in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was energized. I tried pushing it in and I could feel electricity already running through it.
Ok if the fan on top is not hot from trying to start you do not have high voltage to unit. Double check breakers to see if they are tripped. Do you have a voltmeter. Russ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did check the breakers, they aren't tripped. I don't have a voltage meter, just a voltage detector. I'm going to check to see if the fan is warm again. it did feel a little warm earlier, but it felt like it was just from the sun.
Open access panel and see if the silver capacitor is swollen little on top or oily. Russ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's not oily or swollen.
Is motor hot. If you have voltage to unit and contractor is energized it will start. I think you have a high voltage problem. Need to know how much voltage is across the two terminals coming into unit. Russ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's not hot. what voltage should it have?
220 volts across the two wires going in to contactor. Russ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I couldn't get a voltage reading on any of the wires, but the capacitor sounded like it would kick on, but the fan wasn't getting any power.
You need to find out for sure if you have 220 volts. You can get a voltmeter at Walmart or Home Depot for 15.00. Russ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a friend bring their voltmeter over here.
Are you getting 220 volts across terminals. Russ
Check across top terminals also for 220 if you have it at bottom. Russ