Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

I have a heat pump at a vacation home in which I installed

Customer Question

I have a heat pump at a vacation home in which I installed a wifi enabled thermostat.
The initial thermostat wiring was as such in picture.
I wired new thermostat similarly and am having issues with the cooling portion. Heat works just fine. When A/C is enabled, it blows heat. I figured the orange was incorrect, but wired similalry to before and worked flawlessly.
ideas?
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is image of original T-stat wiring.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, I am 2 hrs from my brother's vacation home.
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Brian. I'm here to help!
Your wiring looks perfect! I would bet there is a setting in the installer set up that's gagging you. In that installer set up under system type you must tell the thermostat you have a heat pump with auxiliary heat. The reversing valve O/B terminal setting in installer set up is defaulted to energize in cool which will work for all equipment except Rheem/Ruud so you should be fine there. If you can give me the model number of your thermostat (THxxxx-xxxx or RTHxxxx-xxxx) I can give you exact instructions on the installer set up.
Thanks, -Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
RTH6580WF1001 - Honeywell
Iamge is from the old thermostat. I am trying to find new wiring picture but must have on my home computer. I can add that later.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know the heat pump does not have a back-up electric system. When it drops to zero or near zero, it can't keep the heat. That's a differnet issue.For now, I am trying to figure out the whole cooling thing.Thanks!
Ah, ok. Your wiring should be identical between the two anyway even though your unit may not have backup heat you should still wire it that way.
Ok for that model thermostat you enter system setup by pressing the fan and up buttons at the same time until the screen changes. You should see a large number on the left that is function number and a smaller number on the right which is that functions parameter setting. Function number 1 parameter setting needs to be changed to either 1, heat pump without aux heat or 5, heat pump with auxiliary heat. You change it with the up/down buttons and press done when finished. That should take care of your problem.
Let me know if I can help further. Thanks, -Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are multiple other settings. Should those be left as factory defaults?
Unless your unit is a Rheem/Ruud heat pump, all the rest of the functions should be fine at their default. If you have a Rheem/Ruud heat pump, function 2 needs to be changed to 1 for energize reversing valve in heat. The rest will all be good where they are.
Thanks, -Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, I'll check everything this weekend when I head to the house.
Is there a way to tell if the thermostat is "bad"? Or for that matter, not correct for the system I have?
That thermostat should work for nearly any type of ac or heat pump system. You just have to wire it and set the installer setup correctly for your system. If you wire it just like your other one was and the rest of the low voltage wiring is wired correctly in your system, it should work fine. If it doesn't, it's likely there is a separate problem with the system. That kind of trouble shooting generally requires a volt meter to diagnose. Heat pumps can be very tricky to diagnose.
Thanks, -Brian
I will probably be in and out tomorrow for a follow up. I won't be online Sunday.
Thanks, -Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the heat pump I am working with at the vacation home. Image of Manual.Not sure if this makes a difference.
Very good, thanks for the info! Give me a shout when you're onsite and we'll figure this thing out.
Thanks, -Brian