Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

I have a 3/4 HP baldor jet pump motor, single phase, 110V that

Customer Question

I have a 3/4 HP baldor jet pump motor, single phase, 110V that starts, runs, pumps at correct pressures and flows but after 3-4 minutes shuts off. When it shuts off it does not throw a breaker (power is still going to the motor). The capacitor checks out O.K. Any idea of what could cause this?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Brian. I'm here to help!
The most likely reason for this is the motor is getting too hot and cutting out on its internal temperature overload safety. Since you say the capacitor checks out ok (these type motors usually only have a starting capacitor anyway), there are a few other things that can cause the thermal safety to trip. It could be tight bearings in the motor. It could be flowing too much water and be overloaded (if you have a valve in the pump discharge line you can try closing it down a little and see if that stops it). It could be low supply voltage or a loose wiring connection. It could even be that the thermal safety is getting weak and this is nuisance tripping.
Those are the most common reasons for the problem you're having. Let me know if I can help further. Otherwise please remember to rate me positively before you leave, it's how I get paid here.
Thanks, -Brian