Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

I have a Lennox 10hpb42-8p...it has stopped cooling...fan is

Customer Question

I have a Lennox 10hpb42-8p...it has stopped cooling...fan is on on the outside..runs constantly..compressor won't come on..what could be issue
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.
The compressor may be coming on and going off due to the low pressure switch cycling which would indicate the system is low on refrigerant.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tim..my condenser has a hole in it. I was told the 10hpb42-8p is no longer available and was advised to step down to a 3 ton goodman. Is that a good match and will it work with the lennox inside unit which I am not replacing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also what is a good estimate to have the outside unit installed if I purchase the new unit myself
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Whether or not a 3 ton condenser is a good match depends on what you mean by that. Are you saying you would replace both outdoor condenser and indoor coil with a 3 ton Goodman system? If so, then that would be fine if someone has determined that a 3 ton would meet your needs.
A lot of shops will not install a system if you purchase yourself as they make their money off markup on parts as well as labor. But if you do find a shop that would install something you buy, plan on around $1000 in labor.