airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

On a window a/c is it better to run it continuously at a

Customer Question

on a window a/c is it better to run it continuously at a higher temp or colder and shut it off when cool to avoid mold buildup inside the unit?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
It is best to run the unit all of the time. I recommend when away you adjust thermostat slightly warmer than comfort level, but not off.Keeping unit on will make for a more economical operation and will not cause a mold issue. The only way you will create a mold issue is if you oversize unit extremely or allow coils to get dirty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how often should the coils be cleaned. the last unit looked clean on the coils but got mold on the pad wheel fan in the back and in the vent fins. if the thermostat is turned up when leaving will it be a huge electric bill/?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also what fan speed is best for inhibiting mold a low cool or high cool? what does low cool mean?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Coil should be cleaned annually. If you turn thermostat up a lot or turn off, it will use more electricity trying to remove heat from furniture, drapes, etc as well as room temp. That is why I say raise just slightly above comfort level when not home.
I recommend high speed fan at all times, low air flow will contribute to mold issues as air is cooler when slowed across coils.