Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My heat pump is set . Cool air will blow

Customer Question

My heat pump is set for cooling. Cool air will blow for about thirty minutes. Then the fan in the unit will stop and hot air will continue to blow in the house. The thermostat has been changed and the fan has been changed and freon has been added. None of that has worked.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 1 year ago.
Russ here. Welcome. I am here to help. Please do not rate until you are satisfied with answer. Always available for follow up questions. Does outside unit stop when unit starts to blow cool. Russ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Outside unit runs while cool air blows in house. Outside unit stops and hot air starts and continues to blow. Turned everything off. Unit outside is hot to the touch.
You have problem with defrost or fan motor over heating. Feel fan motor on top of unit and see it feels hot. Russ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes.
You have bad fan motor it is overheating and stopping causing your problem. Russ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Will try. Thank you.
You are welcome. Russ