MattR757
MattR757, HVAC Technician
Experience:  18+ Years experience in residential and commercial HVAC service and repair
65306941

I have a Goodman Evaporator Coil i think Modle # *****

Customer Question

i have a Goodman Evaporator Coil i think Modle # ***** and it is equiped with two drains a primary and a secondary Drain. i have noticed that the secondary drain is always dripping and the side of my house is very muddy would this be a sign that the primary drain line is blocked? if so how would i go about cleaning it out?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  MattR757 replied 1 year ago.
If the secondary is dripping water then the primary drain is almost certainly blocked - at least partially.
The easiest way to clear the primary is to suck it out from the outside of the house with a shop vac... (if the drain line is piped with a vent after the trap it won't work and you have to either cap the open vent or separate the line from the unit and blow it out in both directions.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does this look right? It doesn't seem to resemble anything I've seen online. Also how would I go about removing this to to blow it out? I already tried to suck it out form the primary drain outside with the vent caped off. But was unable to get anything out of it. I'm guessing it's clogged pretty bad.
Expert:  MattR757 replied 1 year ago.
It looks like your secondary drain line is pitched down into the drain pan and would let water drain out instead of directing it through the pri***** *****ne. The secondary line should be level or pitched slightly up so that any water will take the lower path of the primary drain line. It also looks like you don't have a trap in the drain line - In this installation you really don't need one - This makes the open vent unnecessary. If you block the open vent on the primary drain and can suck through it with the vacuum (or blow through it) with little resistance then you probably don't have a blocked drain at all and it's just the improperly positioned secondary line that's causing the leak.
I've made some notes on your image but I'm having an issue attaching it - Please see it here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5ej3CaCXvZiSklNdVZqb3lfVVk/view?usp=sharing