spivco
spivco, HVAC Technician
Experience:  18 years experience. Hvac and electrical licenses.
65783193

I have a temp star unit and it will not turn on. I tried

Customer Question

Hi
I have a temp star unit and it will not turn on. I tried to cut on the heat and that will not turn on as well. The unit is 2 years old. Could it be blown fuse somewhere?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  spivco replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Joe and I will be glad to help you out.
There are a few things to check, first of all, if you have a split system, where you have a unit in the house or crawlspace and a unit outside, you will need to check the breakers for both units. If you do have a unit inside or in the attic, there is normally a safety switch inside the drain pan or drain line. Check the switch to see if it has been hit or if water is present.
Next thing is to look inside of the unit for a small blade type fuse plugged into a circuit board.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found the fuse. It looks like it is blown
Expert:  spivco replied 1 year ago.
Make sure you check the small thermostat wires going to the outdoor unit. They can short from animals chewing on them or lawn mowers. That could cause the fuse to blow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought new fuses and put them in but fuse keeps blowing. Checked all wires going into outdoor unit.
Expert:  spivco replied 1 year ago.
Have you replaced the thermostat recently?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I haven't. First time i turned on the ac this year
Expert:  spivco replied 1 year ago.
A low voltage short is one of the hardest things to find. It could be a number of things, but it ends up being shorted wires more than anything else. Sometimes you can see the wire shorted to metal, sometimes its inside of the wire insulation shorted with other wires, sometimes its a bad circuit board or relay. I would look at all of the thermostat wires that you can to see if they are rubbing metal on the unit, if you don't see that, you will probably need to have a tech come out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you
Expert:  spivco replied 1 year ago.
No problem. Good luck