Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

The blower will not work on my air conditioner will not work. I noticed this after I

Customer Question

Hi - the blower will not work on my air conditioner will not work. I noticed this after I had turned the system on for the first time and about an hour later realized that no air was coming out. The AC unit outside is on but had ice on the line heading inside. The filter wasn't clean so I replaced it assuming this was the issue. However, after letting the system thaw and replacing the filter the fan will still not turn on, even when setting the fan to "ON" on the thermostat.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have confirmed that the blower motor is receiving power.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! We keep going until you have all of the information you need.[b/]. Extensive training & coaching also available.
It sounds like the coil iced because the blower motor failed.
I need a well lit, well focused picture of the wiring diagram glued to the blower service panel to coach you on further diagnosis.
Use the 'attach files' link in the lower left of your reply box to attach that, I can coach you from there.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here you go - will I need a voltmeter?
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, you will need a $30 type multi meter.
The photo taken at an angle like that, and from that distance is too blurry to read when enlarged
Take the photo while sitting on the floor, from as close as possible and still keep it in *sharp focus*.
We can go from there.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will need to run out to get a voltmeter. In the meantime I've attached a better picture.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, thanks for the great diagram
http://screencast.com/t/uxp3s0DjM
Look that over.
Be sure you got a multi meter not just a volt meter.
We can go from there.
.
We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Phil -- I have purchased a multimeter please let me know what you need tested.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
copy paste the link below to your browser, it shows what I need tests on.
http://screencast.com/t/uxp3s0DjM
We can go from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Phil - I am failing to read the schematic. I've attached a photo of the wiring, could you provide some assistance?
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Locate the blower motor, notice which two power the motor and which two go to the run capacitor..... Then physically follow the two wires that power the motor back to the control box and test them there.
I cannot tell from here by the photo which wires go where... If I were there I would take my own advice noted above.
.