HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

I have a GE (GFSL6KKYALS) purchased in Sept of 09 that will

Customer Question

I have a GE (GFSL6KKYALS) purchased in Sept of 09 that will intermittently stop cooling. Every three minutes it will try to start the compressor and there is a buzzing or humming sound from the start relay or compressor that lasts for 20 seconds. The display would show the set temps but never the actual temp If i unplug it for 30-40 mins it will restart. Changing the main control pcb fixed it for about 2 1/2 weeks but sometimes it would run for longer than that before the new pcb. Seems like the motor locks. Maybe the start cap?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.
Either the start relay is bad or the compressor start winding has failed. Based on your description it does sound like a bad compressor. I would replace the relay on the compressor and if that does not fix it you have a bad compressor. That unit uses a run capacitor not a start capacitor so that would not be the issue.