Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Hey doug my ac unit cools perfectly fine, lets say i set it

Customer Question

Hey doug my ac unit cools perfectly fine, lets say i set it to 22 celcius. When my thermostat reaches close to that target tenperature there is a bumping sound coming from the unit in my basement. It sounds like the relay is clicking on and off a ton. They replaced the entire board twice. Not to sure what the issue is and its concerning me
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello, the bumping sound is the electric motor and compressor mounted on springs. that is *welded inside a steel outer shell.. when the power is cut off to the compressor the torgue on the motor is released and the unit moves on the springs and hits the side of the steel shell.That is more or less normal, especially if the unit is older, or is not sitting level. -------------------You will need to examine the unit closely in order to locate the relay clicking noise... I can coach you on that.