Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Carrier 58STX070 Furnace/AC unit with split controls.

Customer Question

I have a Carrier 58STX070 Furnace/AC unit with split controls. The A/C has been blowing really high and is very loud. We do massage in our house and is a distraction. I did some reading on lowering blower speed. Our unit has three wires for the speeds. High, Med-Lo and Low. The settings it was set wired for was Cool-High and Heat Med-Lo. Low was set to the spare position. I changed these to Cool-Med-Lo and Heat-Low and High is set to Spare.
The fan speed is lower but still noticable but I think we can live with this.
My question is, does setting the Cool to Med-Lo run any risk to the unit, such as freezing the coils? The blower still seems to be putting out a decent amount of air but I have no way of testing the output.
Also can anyone recommend a decent reasonably priced thermostat with a remote sensor? wired is okay
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello, setting the blower to medium speed risks forming ice on the cooling coil, especially if you run it when it is not hot outside. (below 72F)..and with the thermostat set below 70F... it should be OK if you have the thermostat set at 72F or a bit higher. Make sure the air filter is clean, and all the vents are wide open. I will send this and look for a thermostat for you to stop the timer.