Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I am planning to use two Goodman electric furnaces to heat

Customer Question

I am planning to use two Goodman electric furnaces to heat a room to 120 degrees for an hour or two to cook bed bugs and their eggs.
To control the furnaces I would like to use a thermostat similar to the ones that control small appliances. A very simple by-metal , 2wire thermostat that is pre set to 120 degrees. Is this possible and if so how would I hook it up?
The electric furnace is Goodman MBR 1200 AA – 1AB
W/ 10 kw heat
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello, there is a problem with using the goodman furnaces in this case....those are meant to take in 70F air, and discharge 160F air... at 120F discharge the high temperature safety limits will trip... bypassing them could cause damage to the furnace. Let me know what you think we can go from there.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Actually the discharge will have to be at 150F or a bit more to heat the room to 120F and the return air will be at 120F... that is way beyond what even the blower motor and electronics can stand. .