Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My dryer will not dry my clothes. The sensor will glow and

Customer Question

My dryer will not dry my clothes. The sensor will glow and the flame will come on and last about 10 seconds then go off. The sensor will then again glow after about 40-45 seconds, the flame will come on but will only last about 3-5 seconds. And the same thing happens in another 40-45 seconds.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  mranswer replied 1 year ago.
The flame sensor may be the issue here- it is closed when no flame and open when there is a flame. After the flame ignites carefully pull a wire off of it and see if the flame stays on. Make sure that you don't short that wire end to anything- you may want to just cut the wire at an accessible location and use a wire nut on it. Let me know what happens as you have replaced all but the motor on this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pulled a wire (each one at different start cycles) the flame stays on the same amount of time. Just a few seconds
Expert:  mranswer replied 1 year ago.
There is no draft when you have the front off. If the flame is getting too close to the hi-limit then this will happen. Have you tested this with it fully assembled or the opening covered over to create the draft?
Expert:  mranswer replied 1 year ago.
Is the hi-limit opening because there is no draft here to suck in the flame unless you have sealed the door opening over with something?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. All put back together. Seems to work. It's hard to tell. I can not see the flame when all put back together. There is no small opening to uncover. I have replaced all these parts. Had it put back together before. Seemed to work one time then didn't work again, which is why I had it apart and contacted this site. I know this is probably the last chance I have to ask you a question. So if it isn't working any suggestions on what it may be? Also, I have the dryer on top of the washer because my laundry closet is the size of the washer and dryer (6 inches on each side remaining). I have to pull them straight out to get to them to disassemble. What I am getting at is my vent hose is long enough so when I pull them out it can reach. Is there anyway the hose can "kink" in a way so the air flow is not good enough? It is the right aluminum hose. I just didn't know if it had to be straightened in a certain way when pushed back into the closet
Expert:  mranswer replied 1 year ago.
A thermometer in the dryer will readily show you if it's heating up properly. Venting is tricky here as you cannot see behind the unit. Best to tie a string on the vent and keep it pulled up so it cannot collapse on itself and make a bunch of sharp bends as any bends reduce air flow and will cause the flame to short-cycle. It is best to fasten a solid pipe on the wall that will mate up with the exhaust pipe when you put the dryer in position as the washer is not moving easily on you.You can pull the vent hose into the dryer and secure it to the blower housing- you would simply need to take the front off and take out the drum too, but that may be easier than anything else.