Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a 2.5 ton Lennox about 12 years old. I am wondering

Customer Question

I have a 2.5 ton Lennox about 12 years old. I am wondering about a box on the wall next to the condensing unit outside where the line sets go in to this box and out, then into the house to connect to the air handler, what is the box on the wall for?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! We keep going until you have all of the information you need.[b/]. Extensive training & coaching also available.
The box in the wall is virtually always the 230 volt electrical disconnect.. and has 1" gray flexible electrical conduit connected to it.
In my 51 years in this business I have never seen a box where the refrigeration line sets go in and out of a box on the wall... they go directly to the AC unit itself.
It is possible however that the installer might have fit a rain hood over the line set wall penetration that looks a little like a box.
http://screencast.com/t/0OsbWLpToryZ
Those are typical electrical connections in flexible electrical conduit
Let me know if that is what you have or not.
------------------
The refrigerant lines consist of a small bare copper tube 5/16" in diameter and 5/8" or 3/4" copper tube covered in 1/2" of insulation.
I will be interested in what you find, if you can attach a photo using the 'attach files' link at the lower left your reply box, that will help.
.
We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge.
.