BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

One of my Rinnai Energy Space Heaters will not start. The ignition

Customer Question

One of my Rinnai Energy Space Heaters will not start. The ignition lights and the heater appears to start but then it stops and I get a Code 12 'Flame Failure'. I have stopped/started multiple time but nothing. The other heater, installed at the same time just on 2 years ago is no problem. It is a RHFE-309FT. The external outlet is clear. Another portable sealed unit, a Rinnai convector 516 which is 20 years old is also working fine.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
Hello, the most common failure is a sensor in the ignition that needs to be cleaned with steel wool. The key is if it lights, then goes out...then it is commonly flame sensor related
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I access the sensor?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.
You must disassemble to the point you are in the burner at the pilot/ignition spot. This involves removing the sleeve...then follow the gas pipe.