airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Carrier heat pump/furnace model #KFCEH1801F20. Electric

Customer Question

Carrier heat pump/furnace model #KFCEH1801F20.
Electric heat is functioning in emergency mode only. When thermostat is set to heat, "HEAT ON" flashes but heat pump does not kick in. When thermostat is set to cool, "COOL ON" flashes but heat pump does not kick in. Have just moved into this home, trying to troubleshoot before calling technician.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Did you leave longer than 5 minutes? The COOL flashing usually indicates a time delay mode.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Both cool and heat have been flashing for at least 30 minutes
If you turn to FAN ON will blower come on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes and unit works when in electric heat mode using the heating elements (produces heat)
OK have you checked to make sure breaker that supplies power to outdoor unit and disconnect beside outdoor unit are both ON?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Used a AC voltmeter read 240VAC on the heat pump disconnect on the outside two terminals.
OK lets turn to COOL and locate thermostat wires to outdoor unit.Check between Y and C in outdoor unit to see if thermostat is sending 24 volts outside.(AC voltage)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can you continue troubleshooting tomorrow, its getting dark here. how can I reach you and at what time?Can we continue tomorrow?h
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can we continue tomorrow? How do I reach you and when?
I own a HVAC company, so I will be in the field until late afternoon.WE can continue then if that works for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tim, That will be good for me. Thanks
Talk to you then
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tim, checked the heat pump for 24VAC @ Y &C Found no voltage. Checked the board in the air handler where the thermostat lines orginate @ Y2 and C (brown and yellow) no voltage. By the way the 5 amp fuse on that board was blown ( replaced same). Have 24VAC at the transformer behind the board. Do you by chance sell the replacement board, assuming that's the problem.
WE do not sell any parts, but I can assist you in locating the part if we determine it is bad.Look on furnace for a model number that starts with the letter F(F4A or similar)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Am I looking on the outside of furnace or a part # ***** the board? What is that board called? Also what size filter does this unit take, it doesn't have one installed. Just purchased house and I'm having to correct a lot of issues.
You may have to remove top panel to look for a model number inside.The number you provided in the beginning is for the heat kit installed in air handler.Do you have a filter in the return grille?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Product # ***** Model # ***** S/N 4401A65991
Excellent. Circuit board part number is *****
See link below:
http://budgethvacparts.com/index.php/circuit-board-control-board/carrier-circuit-board-control-board-hk61ea005.html
Let me know if we have 24v into board at the 24v terminals and 24v out between R and C screw terminals.If so, board is good.
The filter should be 21.5x23.5x1
See link below:
http://www.amazon.com/Bryant-Carrier-21-5x23-5x1-KFAFK0412XXL-317659-405/dp/B008PGKXX0
If you have a filter grille with a filter in it, you will not have to have one in air handler.
Leaving to work in the field,Will check in this afternoon when I return to see where we are.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have 28.2VAC At the red and black wire at the top of the board coming from xformer. Also have 28.2 VAC from terminals R & C.
Go to thermostat, disconnect R and Y and touch the wires together .Let me know if outdoor unit comes on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thermostat Y/C put together, they sparked and the heat pump didn't kick in.
NOT Y and C. That will create a dead short. R and Y. If you touched Y to C, check in air handler and see if you blew a small 3 amp car type fuse.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry I did touch Red and Yellow wire together, had small spark ( drew some current) and the heat pump didn't come on. by connecting R and Y together it blew the 3 amp fuse on control board in the air handler unit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Didn't connect Y/C. I connected the red and yellow wire together behind the thermostat, they sparked (drew current) and blew the 3 amp fuse on the control board in the air handler. Also connecting the R/Y wire didn't start the heat pump outside. Please advise next step.
Sorry, your post said "Thermostat Y/C put together, they sparked and the heat pump didn't kick in."OK get a few 3 amp fuses so we can trace the short.R is 24 volt power from air handler, When thermostat calls for COOL the power is supposed to travel through the R to the Y and take 24 v to outdoor unit.If it poppped fuse, there is a short somewhre.Disconnect the wires at outdoor unit .See if it pops fuse.If not the short is in the outdoor unit.We will go from there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
disconnected all wires at heat pump, then shorted leads at thermostat Y/R, had everything powered up, then checked fuse in air handler and it was not blown.
OK next disconnect the low voltage wires on contactor in outdoor unit.Reconnect the control wires where they come into unit and see if fuse blows with R/Y together
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
which ones are the low voltage wires
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
disconnected R/Y at Heap Pump (hoping they were the low E wires). Anyway touched Y/R wires at thermostat and the fuse in the air handler was not blown.
Did you reconnect the wires to everything except the contactors and with contactors not connected fuse stays in tact on call for COOL at thermostat?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where is the contactors? Yes I rewired the wires at the heat pump. Never did anything with contactors that I know of.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is the contactor the relay looking device with the 220 VAC coming in the side and the wires you want me to disconnect are yellow/Brown, top and bottom of contactor?
See mmy post above for insreuctions and picture of contactor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can't see post or picture. Where do I look
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
pushed the manual button on contactor and heat pump started, then when i let go the unit turned off, a few minutes later the heat pump started up and cool on is not flashing on thermostat. Turned thermostat to off and the back to cool and cool on flashes again, went out and pushed manual push button again on cantactor, sometimes it works after I release button and sometimes not.