Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.

Im have a company install a new Rheem RGTM 95% gas furnace.

I'm have a company install a new Rheem RGTM 95% gas furnace. The installer ask me to look at how the gas pipe comes out of the furnace enclosure. It is way off to the side of the hole in the enclosure and makes it very questionable if the rubber seal will work. He just wants to let it go, but I think the seal is going to fail and leak. He said he could put a small piece of sheet metal over the original and then re-drill the hole in the center that would make it fit the rubber seal if I wanted it done.

The seal just isn't going to work if he leaves it the way it is.

Thanks for your help.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll do my best to help. Troubleshooting often requires meters and test equipment. Let's get started and see what we can do.
Can you upload a picture here?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no, just have a method of doing that. the furnace has a 2 inch hole in the side for the gas pipe. A rubber grommet fits in this hole and the gas pipe from the gas valve passes though it in the center. In this case, the gas pipe does not center in the hole but is against the enclosure and not allowing the rubber grommet to seat properly.

I would have the installer correct this.That pipe should not have pressure on the rubber grommet.Either re align the pipe or if acceptable, use a flexible gas connector to relieve the pressure

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He said that he can't put a flex line inside the unit ( code). The pipe in the furnace ( other side of gas valve) is very ridged. He showed me how it would not bend without a lot pressure which he didn't want to do. He also tried to adjust the pipe on the burner, but it has near no movement.

It looks to me like one of the following: move the hole with the sheet medal idea, try to heat and bend the pipe on the other side of the gas valve or have the air leak in.

He should be able to re pipe the rigid line. Take what is there loose and re route. Even if he has to make a couple of turns and use different elbows and nipples, he should be able to get the pipe in straight to the valve.Otherwise, do like you are saying. Or he could just enlarge the hole and make a new grommet or use a sealant such as cork tape.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think the new hole is best. Looks much easier to me.

Thanks for your answers and very fast response!

Thanks for allowing me to help. Please rate positive if you are satisfied with my answer. Otherwise I will continue to help you with a solution.