Billy
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

CARRIER MODEL #48GS-048090301Hi there,We have an opportunity

CARRIER MODEL #48GS-048090301 Hi there, We have an opportunity to buy an almost brand new unit. The unit was initially installed in the home of an acquaintance. She added on to the home and needed a larger unit. It was only in use for about 5-6 months. Since then, it has been stored outdoors in a shaded area with a piece of plywood over the top. We were wondering what a unit of this model would have cost back then and a similarly priced new unit would cost today. Obviously it would need cleaning up and likely some maintenance and also it would need to be installed and we wonder how much we should pay somebody to install it. We look forward to your reply and thank you in advance for your advice and assistance. Cathi XXXXXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

Just the unit itself would have been around $3,000.00

labor, wiring, duct transition etc would have been another $1,500-$2,000

If you could get install for $1,500 or so it would be a good deal

Billy

48GS Product Data
48GS Installation Manual

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Billy,

Thanks for your prompt answer. I also asked what a similarly priced new unit would cost today? What would a similar product of about the same caliber would cost today?

I guess we would like an experts view on purchasing a gently used a/c unit. Do you think it would be a wise purchase for about $2,500.00?

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Keep in mind this is my opinion...and is not to inflate or deflate your decision.

If you can get a company to install for you....it is a good deal. I am partial to the Carrier package units and they are a quality purchase.

The hard part will be getting someone to install without raising their price. Contractors like to sell equipment, not install owner supplied. If you can get cooperation or do yourself, it would be a very fair deal.

I checked further for this exact models price range...and the units started at 4k plus install.

Short story = a good deal if you can get installed for reasonable price.

Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience: Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi again Billy, Just one more question for you...

What is the tonnage (sp??) of this unit? I was thinking 4, but am not sure and can't seem to find it on the tag

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
You are correct.

The unit is a 4 ton

Dont forget the 2 links here for info and installation

48GS Product Data

48GS Installation Manual