Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.

I have a 500 gallon underground oil tank. I seem to run out

I have a 500 gallon underground oil tank. I seem to run out of fuel. I'll add several gallons of diesel and she runs fine until it runs out, I estimated over 3 years I use in cold weather about 1 gallon for me 3 hours of heat. I have a 2425 home, fairly well insulated. The challenge, the oil man measured with a stick and said I had about 70 gallons in the tank but again yestedrday I had to add several gallons of diesel and she kicked on after the usual hiccups before igniting. Why won't the burner kick on with up to 70 gallons in the tank?

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue.

Rick :

The suction line is held up from the bottom of the tank to avoid sucking up the muck that collects at the bottom of the tank. It sounds like your line is up a bit more than usual that combined with the large tank would explain this issue.

ok so i need to note 70 gallons is as low as I can go. Why they put these things underground without a measuring system is hard to understand.

Thank YOu.

Rick :

You're welcome!

Thanks for using Just Answer! Please keep us in mind should you have questions in the future that could use some expert answers. You can request me personally for Plumbing, Heating or general Home Improvement/Building problems should the need arise. Just bookmark this URL for future reference