Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

Heat and glo 6000clx-ipi-s with remote - pilot is started

Heat and glo 6000clx-ipi-s with remote - pilot is started but cannot get main flame

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue.

Is the pilot still arcing (making a ticking noise)?

Customer:

no it is not

Customer:

pilot is working fine,

Rick :

If the pilot lights and the electrode still arcs it's an indication that the pilot flame is not being sensed. This will prevent the main burner form lighting. It's also possible that the pilot may not be sensed even if the electrode doesn't continue to arc. In either case the flame sensor rod in the pilot flame should be carefully cleaned off with fine sand paper.

Customer:

is that located between the two points of the pilot?

Customer:

what grit on the sand paper 400?

Rick :

The flame sensor and igniter are on either side of the pilot burner. Yes 400 is ok even 200 is ok. You want to remove the oxidation from the metal rod

Customer:

ok, i will try that and let you know in about 30 min

Rick :

If that doesn't work you need to check all the electrical connections between the pilot and the control

Rick :

I'm won't be here in 30 minutes. I'm logging off soon. If you want to resolve this tonight you can relist this question and one of my colleagues should pick it up.

Rick :

When viewed from the back of the pilot hood the sensor is on the left and is further from the pilot hood than the electrode

Customer:

tried the paper on the left IPI sensor and tried to start it but nothing

Customer:

the sensor was glowing bright red but no luck.

Customer:

have a local service man scheduled to come out in a week

Rick :

You may need a new control module. If the sensor is clean it should tell the control to open the main valve to fire up the main burner

Customer:

thank you!

Rick :

Given the cost and availability of the module this repair is best left to a pro. Cleaning the sensor was your best shot

Rick :

You're welcome!

Customer:

yes, that is what was on page 14 of the manual, the flame pattern and strength seem normal