Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.

Im having a problem with my Honeywell RTH 6350 D1000 thermostat.

I'm having a problem with my Honeywell RTH 6350 D1000 thermostat. When Heat is selected and the temperature reaches the indicated level (ex. 71 degrees) the fan does not shut off. I have a Trane XB80 Gas Heat pump and a Rheem Prestige model RPQL-030JEZ air handler.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll do my best to help. Troubleshooting often requires meters and test equipment. Let's get started and see what we can do.
Are you able to do some hand son troubleshooting? And does fan go off if thermostat is not calling for anything?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am able to troubleshoot, I have a Fluke multi-meter if needed and was an electronics technician in a previous life... Fan does not go off at all when Heat function is selected. It works when normally when Cool function is selected.

OK if thermostat is set to Off and Fan /Auto, does fan go off then?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. to turn the fan off in Heat mode I need to switch to Cool Mode, wait until the Cool On message goes off and then turn the thermostat off.

Ok, give me the complete model on the furnace and let me see what controls that fan. It sounds like a relay is sticking.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Model No. TUE060A936L3

Serial No. 4242MLW1G

I'm concerned that I did not wire it correctly...

While I pull a manual on the furnace, tell me what wires went to what terminals on old thermostat and where you put them on new thermostat and I will verify for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The old and new thermostat were wired identically -

Green to G on Thermostat

White to W

Yellow to Y

Red to R

Jumper from R to RC

Orange, Blue and Black not used

OK, now the model you have provided (RPQL is a heat pump outdoor unit)
However to use the heat pump in heat mode will require more wires than this.Does your outdoor unit run in heat mode?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm confused. The Trane XB80 is in the basement utility room and is a gas furnace (I think). The Rheem RPQL is outside and I thought it was the air handler and also has the compressor and refrigerant to provide A/C.

I think I may have screwed up. I have a 2 zone system and the Rheem is for upstairs but the problem thermostat is downstairs. The outside unit for the downstairs is a Trane XB10.

Model - 2TTB0030A1000AA

Serial - 4285P0G5F

Ok, now that makes more sense. I did not need the info about the upstairs, that is what through me a curve,The upstairs is a heat pump. Outdoor should work in both winter and summer with that system.
The downstairs is just a gas system .
Your wiring is good. Now there should be a factory jumper also from R to RC
Lets verify the system setup is correct:
Function 1 should be 0
Function 3 should be 0
Function 5 should be 5
Function 6 should be 5
Function 8 should be 5
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Function 1 was 0, changed it to 1
Function 3 was 0
Function 5 was 5

Function 6 was not an option
Function 8 was not an option

Function 13 was set to 1

Function 14 was set to 0

Change function 1 back to 0 This system is not HEAT PUMP
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Made the change of Function 1 back to 0. Here are the current settings -

Function 1 = 0
Function 3 = 0

Function 5 = 5

Function 13 = 1

Function 14 = 0

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, it's doing the same thing

Ok when furnace cycles OFF and blower is still running, locate the small black boxes built onto the control board, Gently tap those black boxes and see if fan will stop
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Could not test this. Lower panel where the control board is located has a pressure switch, when the panel is removed the switch release and everything powers off...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I figured out how to do it. Taped switch closed so the system will run with that panel removed. I reset the system and I tapped on the small black boxes and there was no change, Heat was off but blower still runs.

Just for a test. while blower is still running, disconnect the wires from thermostat where they connect to the control board.Also tell me if board has lights whiter they are solid or flashing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm not sure what we did, but it seems to work now even before I ran this last test.

Heat was on, it reached the set temperature then the heat went off and 3 or 4 minutes later the blower stopped. It's now doing what is supposed to...

I am suspecting the issue may be in the board. The heat relay(Black boxes I had you tap are the relays)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'll have a local HVAC company look at it. Thanks for your help.

THanks for allowing me to work with you.