Billy
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

i have a weak flame

i have a weak flame
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

My name is Billy

Are you on propane or natural gas?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

natural gas

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
And is the main flame that when on that refer to as weak?

I assume you have seen the flame stronger?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the main flame is on until the blower turns on then it goes out

i also have a flashing yellow led

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,

BEFORE the blower kicks on is the yellow light solid?

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,

This is going to be one of a couple things...

1 - the gas pressure is insufficient and the flame cannot keep on the ignitor/sensor.

2- the ignitor sensor is not sensing the flame accurately and needs to be replaced. This unit does not use a sense rod...it uses the ignitor. Even though the ignitor glows and ignites it may be sending poor signal to board.

Now are you saying flame is weak because of the code ot because it is visibly weak?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i replaced the ignitor a couple months ago. the flame is abt 4 to 5 inches in diamiter

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

Then my concern is ....

the flame is actually hitting the ignitor.

or

the gas pressure is too low.

Not to many homeowners have a manometer to check gas pressure so that usually requires a service tech visit.

About the only things that can be done at this point is to clean the burner assembly & check gas pressure and adjust.

We have fuel and ignition..it is just a matter of the circuit board being told it is there.

If you have any other questions at all just use reply to let me know.

Billy

Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience: Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics