BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

Hi Billy! Youve helped me many times with the furnace for

Hi Billy! You've helped me many times with the furnace for my lower, now I need your help with the upper.

The furnace is working, but nowhere near properly. Right now, when the thermostat calls for heat, the ignitor goes on (tick tick tick) and immediately it lights the pilot flame. Problem is, it takes almost 3 full minutes for the burners to actually ignite. Something won't let the gas valve open up properly. Is the ignitor what allows the gas valve to open?

The NUG series used a few different gas valves.

Can you tell me the model number of your gas valve?

Then I will try to get you going in a timely manner.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Honeywell Gas Valve

Thank you!

You have the routine down I see to move things along!

Now in the pilot assembly is a metal ignitor tip/sensor.

We want to eliminate the basics here we want to buff the pilot hood and the tips with steel wool. Once we get that cleaned we will see what happens and move forward.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Let me do that back asap! Thanks so much! Laughing

Standing by

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Billy, I took the assembly off, cleaned it all off and everything seems to be great! I turned it on 8 times, and everytime the flames kicked on within 2-4 seconds.

Excellent news...we just a dirty flame sensor.

You dodged service call on this one...well done!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much! When you reply back to me I will accept your answer. Quick question....if it goes back to the old ways in a few hours can I come back here and continue our troubleshooting?

Yes you can.

I doubt you will have issue now. Cleaning the sensor generally buys you a fresh start.

BUT...if you need anything just let me know.