Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

my blower does not come on all other components seem to be

my blower does not come on all other components seem to be working fine pilot light ignites furnace gets warm but blower will not kick on

Tim H. :

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Thanks for the opportunity to help!

Tim H. :

Hello there

Tim H. :

I'm sorry you are having trouble with your furnace. Most likely you have a bad blower motor, but I'd like to have you perform a check. Do you have a voltmeter?

Customer:

no i do not

Tim H. :

OK, that will make things more difficult to confirm. Have you tried reaching in and spinning the blower wheel by hand?

Customer:

Yes took blower off cleaned and put back in seems to be spinning fine

Tim H. :

OK, did the motor seem hot after trying to make it work?

Customer:

no it stays cold the furnace gets hot but blower does not kick on

Tim H. :

I mean after furnace heats up and when blower would normally kick on, does it feel hot to the touch?

Customer:

no blower does not warm up to the touch

Tim H. :

OK, well there are 2 possibilities: a bad board or a bad blower motor. Without voltage readings, I can't say for sure which it is. If motor were getting 120 volts and didn't come on, I'd say-replace the motor. But if no voltage, then the board would be suspect.

Customer:

can i take the blower motor out and have it tested to see if the blower is bad

Tim H. :

You could. Or just apply 120 volts to the white lead and the red lead.

Tim H. :

What color leads do you have on this blower?

Customer:

let me check

Tim H. :

OK

Customer:

ok the blower has a black cord that plugs into a connector the connector has a red, white, brown, and black coming out and plugging into the pc board

Tim H. :

ok-so the white should be the neutral

Customer:

yes it is plugged into neutral on the board

Tim H. :

So if you were to apply 120 volts to the neutral and the red lead and blower runs, you can safely say blower is probably OK

Customer:

how do i apply 120 volts to it

Tim H. :

You could use an old extension cord or something. Just make sure that you have neutral to neutral and hot to red

Tim H. :

Having a voltmeter would make it much easier

Customer:

ok i have an old extension cord which is the neutral end

Tim H. :

If you are plugging it into a standard outlet, the shorter slot is the hot, the longer one the neutral.

Tim H. :

I will be logging off soon, but if you want to test the blower and get back to me, that wold be great.

Customer:

give me a few minutes going to test now

Tim H. :

OK

Customer:

the blower worked it is not the blower

Tim H. :

OK, great! That would seem to indicate a bad board, then

Customer:

the whole board itself

Tim H. :

Yes

Customer:

the fuse on the board is fine ive already checked

Tim H. :

Yeah, not the fuse. There is a small relay on the board that sends power to the blower-probably shot. Boards are not repairable

Customer:

ok thank you ill check around for a new board

Tim H. :

No problem. Good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service. (bonuses are always appreciated) Follow up questions are always welcome.