airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a hunter thermostat which has a mind of its own. It

I have a hunter thermostat which has a mind of its own. It keeps turning off, Resetting the temp back to 60 degrees. I cannot heat my house. I made sure the breaker for the furnace was not blown I reset the thermostat none of this helps. I took of the thermostat cover and notices it had 3 wires White Brown and Red

Red - Was screwed into RC but the other end was a bare small wire going nowhere
White - Was screwed into RH
Brown - Was screwed into W

We only have heat and its an old house with a very old furnace. Before I go out and buy a thermostat what do you think the red wire is for? Why was it not connected

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll do my best to help. Troubleshooting often requires meters and test equipment. Let's get started and see what we can do. Rc is not needed if you only have heat All you will need is a wire to RH and a wire to W

RC would be for Cooling

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok so the two wires that are connect RH - White W - brownish black should be able to be wired in the same way on a new thermostat and the red wire is not needed. I have a meter but if I go out and replace the thermostat and its still not working then I will calling in a pro

Yes the only wires you need are to RH and W. When thermostat calls for heat, it closes the circuit and tells furnace to come on. If you have any problems when you get the new thermostat, come back to the question and I will be glad to guide you.