Billy
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

Hi Tom, I have a 1 year old Goodman GPG1336090M41 - basically

Customer Question

Hi Tom,

I have a 1 year old Goodman GPG1336090M41 - basically a 3 ton 13 seer all in one gas/package unit. The issue is that when the heat comes on the furnace tries to light three times then goes out. I am not sure if it ever worked correctly. My neighbor thought the gas piping needed to have a moisture catch in so we re-routed the piping to have a leak catch in it. But that still didn't work. Seems like when it was originally installed the gas had to left half way on to get it to work but it doesnt seem to want to work at all this year. Any ideas?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

Billy :

Billy :

when it comes on does the flame actually occur but go out 3 seconds later?

Customer:

flame comes on and goes out in a few seconds

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

6:05 PM

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,

At one end of the burner is your ignitor...at the other end is a metal rod called a flame sensor.

If this rod doesnt report flame withing 3 seconds of the gas valve opening it shutsdown everything.

This ca be because of 2 main things....

the flame does not contact the rod
the flame contacts rod but the rod is glazed over and needs cleaned with steel wool.

Can you tell me if the flame travels across within 3 seconds to the flame rod?

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The flame definitely makes contact with the flame rod within 3 seconds

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,

have buffed the flame rod with steel wool yet?

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No but will be trying that tomorrow to see if that works

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
That works 95% of the time.

If that does not work, then you need to tighten/check all ground wires and make sure the circuit board is grounded to unit and unit to ground.

The last item which is more rare is a bad ignition control.

Billy

Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience: Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We cleaned the flame sensor and it came on for a bit more than 3 times then went back off. Then I turned it back on when I got home and it is doing the same thing again. All wires seem to be grounded. Not sure about the ignition control but it seems like it is igniting.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Mark.

The sensor creates a very small electrical current from the flame/sensor combination.

This very small current is what reports back to the board to verify that flame is present.

From a troubleshoot standpoint we have:

Verified flame touches sensor in 3 seconds
Verified sensor is cleaned
Verified grounds are proper.

The only component left in the flame sense process is the circuit board that the sensor plugs into.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The issue turned out to be that there are 2 vents on this unit and there is a piece goes on the bottom of one of them that helps blow air away from the unit and it was installed on the wrong one causing air on a non-windy day to get sucked back into the other vent and blow the flame out.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
My gosh that is tough find!

Nicely done....that would be a head scratcher.

I am glad you have it resolved!

Billy