Thehvacguy
Thehvacguy, LIC HVAC,Plumber
Experience:  Certified HVAC Universal Technician,Lic plumbing contractor, 28 yrs exp

i have an american standard 90 gas furnace, and it is not working.

i have an american standard 90 gas furnace, and it is not working. the led is blinking slowly and continually. i tried resetting it, and i made sure the thermostat is on heat, but nothing...
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Thehvacguy replied 8 months ago.

Thehvacguy :

Hi my name isXXXXX will do my best to solve your problem. Reply to this post and I will reply back with help before rating, Thanks Garyc

Customer:

Hi

Thehvacguy :

count the flash's and look on the back of the furnace door. (this will be a trouble code, and i will tell you what it says is wrong, and the fix)

Thehvacguy :

the legend will be in the form of a sticker (Usually on a wiring diagram stick on back of furnace door)

Customer:

it is flashing continuously, not super fast. i'll try to find the legend... one sec

Thehvacguy :

ok

Customer:

found it

Thehvacguy :

ok

Customer:

flashing slow normal - no call for heat

Thehvacguy :

do you have the thermostat, set to auto and set to heat, and turned up above the current room temp?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

i put the fan on "on"

Customer:

i can change it to auto

Customer:

it is above the current temp though

Thehvacguy :

when yo have the fan set on on (does the fan run?)

Customer:

no

Customer:

no response to anything i do w/ the thermostat

Thehvacguy :

ok this sounds like a thermostat issur

Thehvacguy :

issue

Customer:

okay, that's good news i guess?

Thehvacguy :

remove the thermostat so you can get at the base and the wiring

Customer:

one more thing. the filter was really dirty and i just changed it today

Thehvacguy :

yes good news

Customer:

heading there now

Customer:

ok, there

Thehvacguy :

even being dirty, its a thermostat or thermostat wiring issue at this point

Customer:

honeywell

Thehvacguy :

is it a digital?

Customer:

yes

Thehvacguy :

or old round thermostat

Thehvacguy :

you will see a seam around the sides of the stat

Customer:

rectangle

Customer:

digital

Thehvacguy :

use your fingernails and pry it off

Customer:

got it

Thehvacguy :

so its open

Thehvacguy :

or your doing it now

Customer:

it's open. thsi is the one:

Customer:

https://customer.honeywell.com/resources/techlit/TechLitDocuments/69-0000s/69-1717.pdf

Thehvacguy :

ok just a sec let me open that link and review

Customer:

no problem

Thehvacguy :

do you have a small piece of wire?

Thehvacguy :

to use as a jumper, so we can test the stat base

Customer:

i can find one probably.. give me a sec

Thehvacguy :

or paperclip

Thehvacguy :

let me know when you have it

Customer:

got it

Thehvacguy :

ok i want you to jump the r to the w screw on the stat base

Thehvacguy :

tell me if the furnace kicks on and runs

Customer:

ok, one sec. i think i have to put the panel back on the furnace..

Thehvacguy :

you do

Customer:

nothing kicking on..

Customer:

light on furnace still flashing slow

Thehvacguy :

ok, now go to the furnace, remove the doors again, and jump r to w on the control board, again you will need to push the door switch in and hold, or tape down so it has power

Thehvacguy :

then tell me if it kicks on

Customer:

ok

Customer:

one sec

Thehvacguy :

ok

Customer:

!

Customer:

that worked

Customer:

does this mean the wire is severed somewhere?

Thehvacguy :

that means the wiring to the stat is bad and needs reran

Customer:

ok, got it

Customer:

doesn't seem to hard to do myself.. just match what's there already w/ a new wire?

Thehvacguy :

re run the wire and you should be good to go

Thehvacguy :

yes jsut match the wires write it down while disconnecting

Customer:

okay, great. thanks

Thehvacguy :

your welcome

Customer:

have a good one

Thehvacguy, LIC HVAC,Plumber
Experience: Certified HVAC Universal Technician,Lic plumbing contractor, 28 yrs exp