A-1 Tech
A-1 Tech, Service Manager
Experience:  I have been in the HVAC business for over 40 years.
8655086

On the top of my 1XXX-XX-XXXXA circuit board there are 5 screws...C-R-W-G-Y.

On the top of my 1XXX-XX-XXXXA circuit board there are 5 screws...C-R-W-G-Y. Obviously color codes. What does the C stand for? Are any extra colored wires connected to different coded screws? For example is an extra red wire attached to the Y screw?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  A-1 Tech replied 1 year ago.

A-1 Tech :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today

A-1 Tech :

Most times the color code is correct, but sometimes people just don't go by it.

A-1 Tech :

The terminald are almost always the same though

A-1 Tech :

The C stands for "common", this is the neutral from the transformer. It may or may not be needed at the thermostat and also goes to the outdoor a/c unit.

A-1 Tech :

The Y terminal is for the air conditioning. You would have a wire coming back from the thermostat and could also have a wire going to the a/c unit attached.

A-1 Tech :

Your a/c unit probably has a white from the C terminal and a red from the Y terminal going to it.

A-1 Tech :

The R terminal is the 24 volt hot wire to the thermostat

A-1 Tech :

The G terminal is the wire for the blower, usually a green wire

A-1 Tech :

The W terminal is from the thermostat and is for heat

Customer:

I am replacing the circuit board currently installed. A friend of mine diagnosed a bad circuit board and I ordered a replacement. I have the replacement and it doesn't look difficult to replace but I think he might have moved some wires around during his diagnosis.

Customer:

He had jumped the R and W together.

A-1 Tech :

You would need to check whaat wire color is going to each terminal. such as Red to R and so forth.

A-1 Tech :

Then do the same at the thermostat.

A-1 Tech :

R and W should not be jumpered

Customer:

There is a red wire attached to the Y terminal.

A-1 Tech :

Please give me all the wire colors and the terminal they go to

Customer:

Just a moment...be right back.

Customer:

C-white coming from a R+W combo...R-Red...W-White...G-Green...Y-Yellow and a Red wire from the same R+W combo attached to C.

Customer:

The R+W combo had a brown wrap on it.

Customer:

has

A-1 Tech :

I am not sure what you mean by combo, is that a short jumper wire from one terminal to the other?

Customer:

No...it's a brown wire with a red and white wire inside. It leaves the furnace and appears to be headed toward my a/c unit just outside.

A-1 Tech :

I will list how it should be connected. You will not need any jumper wires

A-1 Tech :

Red to the R

A-1 Tech :

White to the W

A-1 Tech :

Green to the G

A-1 Tech :

Yellow to the Y

Customer:

C?

A-1 Tech :

Then the Red and white wire in the brown jacket

A-1 Tech :

The R goes to the Y and the white goes to the C

Customer:

Got it...thank you. I will give it a go. I suppose the only way to tell if I did it properly is to start the furnace. I don't have testers.

A-1 Tech :

Yes ,

Customer:

any other words of wisdom for me?

A-1 Tech :

You may want to check the thermostat end of this, color code should match

A-1 Tech :

If the thermostat has a R terminal, you are good to go

Customer:

ok...just pop the cover off, right? I have a digital thermostat.

A-1 Tech :

If it has a Rc and a Rh terminal, you will see a jumper from the Rc to the Rh

A-1 Tech :

Yes, the front should just pop off

A-1 Tech :

Please let me know if you have any problem

Customer:

I installed it a few years ago and have no problems with it.

A-1 Tech :

I will be in and out this morning

Customer:

Thank you...it shouldn't take me too long. I have everything ready.

Customer:

Thermostat does have a Rc and a Rh and they are jumpered.

A-1 Tech :

I am still here

A-1 Tech :

Did you get it? Does everything now work?

Customer:

Woo! Hoo! We have heat...a happy wife is a happy life, lol.

A-1 Tech :

Great

A-1 Tech :

I am glad you got it

A-1 Tech :

If you are satisfied with my service a positive rating is appreciated.

A-1 Tech :

Thank you.......................Ron

Customer:

That will be easy...thanks again!

A-1 Tech, Service Manager
Experience: I have been in the HVAC business for over 40 years.