gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC
19613070

RHEEM Model #RRKA-A042JK10E, calling for heat, induction fan

RHEEM Model #RRKA-A042JK10E, calling for heat, induction fan runs, but no gas and no pop (spark igniter). Forced draft safety switch looks OK (closed circuit when induction fan runs, open circuit when it's not). Limit switch looks OK (closed circuit). The voltage going to the gas valve is the same both calling for heat and not calling for heat (11.5 V DC + about 15 V AC). Heat on or off, no difference. The red light on the circuit board flashes when calling for heat. I already installed a new circuit board, results: no difference, still the same voltage going to the gas valve both on and off. It seems that there has to be a different signal going to the gas valve to make it open (that's why I replaced the circuit board). The resistance across the gas valve terminals is about 6 Meg ohms (rectifier?). The air conditioning side still works fine. Thanks
Russ here.. Does igniter work. Russ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is no popping noise from the igniter, and the gas valve doesn't open.

Your igniter coil is bad. I would replace igniter and igniter coil. Checked flow charts for this furnace, Russ

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The igniter connects directly to the circuit board. If the igniter is bad, would this keep the same voltage going to the gas valve?

What voltage should be going to the gas valve to open it?

Check your rollout switches to see if they are bad. Russ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As stated before, " Forced draft safety switch looks OK (closed circuit when induction fan runs, open circuit when it's not). Limit switch looks OK (closed circuit). " As for the circ fan safety switch, the system doesn't get far enough for the circ fan to come on in the first place.

The igniter coil is on the board, and I already replaced the board.

If the igniter is bad, would this keep the same voltage going to the gas valve?

24 volts AC when gas valve opens. What flash code do you get when this happens. Russ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The LED on the circuit board flashes twice then off. Then the same sequence is repeated. There is no code listed anywhere on board or on the unit that I can find. The board is PROTECH Integrated DSI control 62-23599-05. No documentation came with the board to tell what the code means.

The 2 flash code is pressure switch problem. Russ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Three questions:

1. Is it vacuum or positive pressure that closes that switch? (it definitely closes with a little vacuum)

2. What is on the other side of that hose (where it goes into the induction fan housing)?

3. Should I be able to blow through into the fan housing (in other words, could it be stopped up with something?

Yes it could just take paper clip and clean fitting. Russ

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Success at last. That was it. That port was stopped up.

Glad I could help. Thanks.