Billy
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

I just purchased a Honeywell Thermostat model RTH8580WF to

I just purchased a Honeywell Thermostat model RTH8580WF to replace my old White Rodger which is out of date. However, I set my thermostat on 72 cool and it is blowing out hot air instead of cool air. The wiring is different and I believe I may have it mixed up. Can you help me please?

Brittany
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 8 months ago.

My name is Billy.

Is this a Heat Pump?
And if so what brand ?

Billy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Heat pump model ahx36c3xh21a

don't know the brand

Expert:  Billy replied 8 months ago.
Thank you.

When you installed thermostat did you wire the O/B terminal with an orange wire?

And in menu did you set the unit for heat pump?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

yes the o/b was wired to orange wire.

there is no menu to set for heatpump on the honeywell thermostat that i seen.

Expert:  Billy replied 8 months ago.
See page 51 HERE

It will tell you how to set for heat pump...then you can also see the other options.

Billy

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

We set it to 0170 (as indicated on pg 51) and I'm waiting for it to kick on. Does this sound right?

Expert:  Billy replied 8 months ago.
Function 0170....what value did you enter?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

value 9

Expert:  Billy replied 8 months ago.
set for 7

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

But we have 2 stage heat and 1 stage cooling?

Expert:  Billy replied 8 months ago.
Yes but it is heat pump and not gas furnace. In heat pump the aux becomes second stage

In gas furnace w1 and w2 are the stages.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Okay we are setting it to stage 7 now. I will let you know in just a few if it is working...please hold on.

Does the wiring look correct to you?

Expert:  Billy replied 8 months ago.
From what I can see it looks good...did you have an L in the previous stat?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

yes we did have an L

Expert:  Billy replied 8 months ago.
Thank you.

Any luck yet?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Yes it is working. Thank you.

Some how i got charged $60 on my bank account instead of $30. Do i just need to call Just Answer to get the $30 refund?

Expert:  Billy replied 8 months ago.
Yes you do.

Unfortunately I am just a tech that gets questions forwarded to me. So I have no access to customer files/pmts.

Please contact for refund...thet are really good about that.

Thanks for your patience!

Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience: Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics