Billy
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I am trying to hook up a honeywell thermostat the numbers on

I am trying to hook up a honeywell thermostat the numbers on the back plate read 50018270-001. The wires that come out of the wall are red/black/white and a ground. I have a heat reclaimer furnace and no central air. Do I just need to hook up the red and the white wires?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
If just a normal gas furnace you are correct...red and white are all you need.

Billy

Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience: Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my mistake the red wire seems to be empty??? I have a black or green wire.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Ok,

only a black and green?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no I have a white, ground and I can't tell if the last one is a black or green color. hard to tell.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Ok,

Do you have a fan switch also or was old stat using only 2 wires?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I believe white, the Black and ground. I had a model 2e501a dayton electic. hope this helps

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

When you say "ground" it concerns me. This would mean you had a 115v thermostat running a electric furnace, baseboard etc.

The thermostats with R, G, Y, W are 24v thermostats.

Can you tell me if the wires are 115v?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how can i tell if they are 24v or 115v?

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me furnace make/model?

Is it a gas furnace?

Or do you have the number from the top portion of the thermostat removed?

Sorry for all the questions...but we will be sure when done...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

gas furnace and the old thermostat reading from the back of the front plate:

model 2e501a dayton electric it says max. 30 volts ac heat max 1.0 amps cool lmax 1.5 amps class 2

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Excellent! thank you.

as a test....hold the white wire in one hand...then touch it to the black wire and hold..tell me if burner kicks on.

OR...I must make you go to the furnace and look for the thermostat wire and tell me what color attaches to what...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

black and white did not ignite the furnace. not sure what wires to look at in the furnace looks like a lot of them.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Do you see where your thermostat wire comes out near furnace ? and can then follow just that wire?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, I see red black and white wires. I do see on the back panel of the furnace it says 24v

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Great...

But we were missing a red upstairs?

Can you follow those wires and take a pic or tell me what the wires hook to.

I am very sorry but as mentioned I do not want any mssed steps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can you call me or i call you?

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
That would be easier...but the site blocks personal contact to protect customer privacy.

Sorry

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok my husband just put black and white wires in and the furnace kicked on, however the thermo is reading 74 and the heat is set to go on at 68???

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

Ok,,,black goes to R and white to W. is this how you have it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, but as stated the furnace is running and the heat is set lower than what the temperature is at. room reading 74 and thermostat set at 67

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Are you positive the black is not in B terminal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes he had the black in b terminal and changed to r terminal. does the ground need to go to g? I think he has it. will keep an eye on it. Thank you! if I need to call local heating in morn will do so. At least we have for the nite....maybe:-)

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
You will be all set with just black in R...and white in W.

Disregard the other wires.

Thank you very much for your patience. I appreciate it!

Billy

Billy, HVAC Technician