Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

Boiler will not start. It was running, turned off because one

Boiler will not start. It was running, turned off because one termostat would not turn down or off---now system will not turn back on. Can you help?

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue.

Rick :

What do have for zone control? zone valves? multiple circulators/pumps ?

Customer:

I Have zone valves.

Rick :

What is the brand and model of the zone valves?

Customer:

taco 24v.9 amp

Rick :

Ok, are any of the thermostats turned up?

Customer:

all 3 turned up

Rick :

This isn't real relevant for now but I thought you had 4 zones?

Customer:

sorry correct. wife is typing

Rick :

OK, got to the zone valves and pull down the lever on the side of the zone valve head. Tell me if you feel any resistance when you pull the lever(s)

Customer:

yes resistence

Rick :

on all of them?

Customer:

yes, but minimal

Rick :

This is critical. If the valve is open you should feel no resistance at all. I need to know if any of the valves are open

Customer:

all are open

Rick :

Ok now I need the model number of the boiler, you said it was an Ultimate?

Customer:

no apparent # XXXXX outside of blr only ultimate label

Rick :

There should be a label somewhere with a model number. It will also have the boiler capacity in BTU's and probably a serial number. You may need to remove an access panel to find it. The panel should come off easily and most likely it will allow access to the gas control valve and the burners

Rick :

I'm assuming this is a gas fired boiler

Rick :

If this is an oil fired boiler we may still be able to figure this out without a model number

Rick :

are you still with me?

Customer:

ue-6

Customer:

boiler just started up

Rick :

I don't see that model listed in the Ultimate boiler data base. Is this oil or gas fired?

Customer:

oil fired, it just turned on.

Rick :

You mean the burner just came on

Customer:

yup

Rick :

Was the boiler hot before this

Customer:

no

Rick :

Aside from the zone valves did you touch anything?

Customer:

no

Rick :

Tehn the 2 most likely culprits are a faulty aquastat/relay or a bad connection probably between the zone valves and the boiler. When the thermostat calls for heat it first opens the zone valve(s). Once the valve is open it makes an end switch which calls in the burner and the circulator. The 18 or 20 gauge low voltage wiring is notorious for breaking unnoticed. This would be my primary suspect at this point. Try tugging on the low voltage connections and check any wire nutted connections for breaks. Don't get real aggressive but tug on it enough to be sure it's not broken.

Rick :

How do you make DHW (domestic hot water)?

Rick :

is there a coil in the boiler?

Customer:

different source--propane gas

Rick :

OK that eliminate one other possibilty

Rick :

Is it still running?

Rick :

Before I forget, be sure all the levers on the zone valves are pushed up to the top. This is the normal operating position

Rick :

You only pull the lever down to open the valve manually

Rick :

and to test like we did

Rick :

are you still there?

Rick :

I'll be online for about another hour tonight. Get back to me if you have more questions

Customer:

appears to be operating normally now.

Rick :

It sounds like one of the 2 culprits I mentioned earlier. Both will cause intermittent problems. Hopefully this one won't return. If it does you can come back to this thread (just log into your account here) and we can try to track it down. This thread won't go away and I'll answer related follow up questions even after you rate me favorably.

Thanks for using Just Answer! Please keep us in mind should you have questions in the future that could use some expert answers. You can request me personally for Plumbing, Heating or general Home Improvement/Building problems should the need arise. Just bookmark this URL for future reference
http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-rickthecontractor/