Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

I have a some rectangular wall duct running from basement to

I have a some rectangular wall duct running from basement to second floor. How many support brackets should this have in the wall, and should it be screwed or affixed to the floor or opening on second floor?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Tim H. :

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Thanks for the opportunity to help!

Tim H. :

Hello there

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.
I switched to the Q and A mode either to allow you to make some checks or because it appeared you were offline. In this mode, you can post questions and I'll reply. Please allow for some delay in my responses as we come and go on this site. I check my questions frequently, however, so please be patient. Please do not hit "relist" as this will slow things down.
Rectangular duct should be supported every 2 feet. If it is running vertically up through the wall, it is best to support with L brackets to the wall stud. It does not have to be supported right where it passes through the floor. Let me know if you have any additional questions.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

So a duct tied to a stud or framing with brackets within 2 feet of the end and it should be fine? I couldn't remember if the final end of a run was typically screwed into the floor or what.

I was planning on putting 2 1/4 X 10" duct into a 2X4 wall due to the stud size and a joist in the basement that seems to be in the way of using a 12".

How do they rate or compare a 2 1/4 X 10 to other duct options for flow, is it the equivilent of a 5" or even less? Possibly I could use a 12 but I don't know how to accomodate the joist in the basement that is squeezing me down to the 10" option.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 12 months ago.
Well, you would also want to have L brackets right at the end of the run for sure. When you say screwed into the floor, are we talking a vertical run up through a wall? Or a horizontal run down in the basement ceiling?
If you are using the 2 1/4 " x 10" for a single supply or even 2, you should be fine.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I was referring to screwing it to the floor (at the floor where it protrudes) or directly below the floor. Maybe it's not neccesary, as long as I can get close to the end with some brackets.

I would probably be able to attach L brackets withing 10 inches from where it terminates into a floor register.

This is a supplemental run for a cold room that did have 3 uninsulated walls and a stairway to a loft where all the heat rises. I've insulated 2 of the 3 walls, so I'm hoping that adding a supplemental run (even if it's just a 2 1/4 X 10) will be helpful.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 12 months ago.
I wouldn't fasten right at the floor because if there is any vibration from the blower in the unit, it would be transferred to the floor.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Do you think the size of this run (10 X 2 1/4) is worth the time for the heat it would add?

I've never run a complete duct before, is the best process to place the first piece through the floor and secure it with L brackets (in the wall). Then build on that (I have wall access) down to the basement where the supply and stack boot are waiting and then cut the final rectangular piece for length and put the indents in it for the boot ?

Expert:  Tim H. replied 12 months ago.
Yes, I think it would make a difference. And as far as the best way to install, you could start with the piece through the floor and work backwards from there to your main trunk line.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Ah OK, so it's not typical that you would do you supply line taking off from the furnace all the way to the bootstack. Stop, and build down the rectangular, cutting off the excess and hopefully get the bootstack to connect with the rectangular then.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 12 months ago.
Yes, you could work either way, from the piece through the floor and back to your trunk line and also up to the point where your wall register will attach. You will need to have the floor piece sticking down into the basement to attach the rest of the ductwork.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience: Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.