Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30 years.
67988511

Hello

Hello
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 10 months ago.

Brian HVAC Guy :

Hi, I'm Brian. I'm here to answer your HVAC question to your complete satisfaction! How can I help tonight?

Customer:

Hello

Customer:

my AC made a wired sound. after looking in to it the coils get cold but the blower dosent start up

Customer:

i tested the power going in to the unit it and is working

Brian HVAC Guy :

That could be a motor or relay issue. It would be very helpful if I could have the model number of your Rheem unit.

Customer:

one sec

Brian HVAC Guy :

No problem...Standing by

Customer:

RHILL-HM3617JA

Brian HVAC Guy :

Great, thank you! I will look up some information on that unit and be back shortly with more ideas.

Customer:

I open the front panle and try to test if the blower work but haven't found a way to do that. i also think the relay is working i can hear a click sound when i power the unit up..

Brian HVAC Guy :

Ok, you said it made a weird sound, can you explain in a little more detail please?

Customer:

well it hear a big sound like metal banging around. when i look around i found the floor around the AC freezing cool.

Customer:

the sound was a 1 time sound it hasnt made it again

Brian HVAC Guy :

Ok so since the outdoor unit still runs it means you do indeed have power to the air handler and it is getting so cold because the outdoor unit is cooling but there is no fan running to pick up the cold from the indoor coil so this all points to a fan issue. I am looking at the wiring diagram of your unit now.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

??

Brian HVAC Guy :

Do you have a voltmeter to check voltages on the circuit board?

Customer:

yes

Brian HVAC Guy :

Ok if you check for voltage at Com and NO on the control board when the power is on and calling for the fan to run you should read zero volts. According to the wiring diagram if you read 230 volts at the L2 power connection and Com on the control board that would be giving power to your fan motor.

Customer:

ok 1 sec

Brian HVAC Guy :

you should read 230 volts from L2 to BOTH Com and NO on the control board when your thermostat is calling for the fan to run.

Customer:

ok i can't find NO on the board but i am geting 28v on x13G but nothing on X13spd

Customer:

i am geting 230 in

Brian HVAC Guy :

I just realized I am looking at the wiring diagram for a 115 volt unit. I am trying to find the right one now. I'm very sorry about that.

Customer:

??

Brian HVAC Guy :

I am still looking for your wiring diagram. I'm sorry for the delay but I'm having a hard time finding it.

Customer:

i had the same problem

Brian HVAC Guy :

I have rarely not been able to find a wiring diagram this is a little embarrassing. I'm still looking though. There should be a diagram pasted to the inside of your cabinet front panel or the blower housing itself but that doesn't help me tell you how to troubleshoot the x13 motor. It has been awhile since I worked on a rheem/ruud with that motor.

Customer:

lol i have that diagram but that is usless

Customer:

??

Brian HVAC Guy :

Wow I have searched everywhere but I can't find the diagram for your air handler. I did find some documentation on the motor and that might help us.

Brian HVAC Guy :

Can you see the motor connection terminals and identifiers?

Customer:

on the motor its self or on the fan contor board

Brian HVAC Guy :

On the motor itself. There should be C, L, G, N, on the row closest to the shaft and 1 thru 5 on the row closest to the bell end of the motor

Customer:

ok

Customer:

i see them

Brian HVAC Guy :

This motor needs 230 volts (nominal) to terminals L and N and it needs 24 volts ac on terminal c and one of the terminals 1 thru 4. this is what tells the motor what speed to run.

Customer:

ok

Brian HVAC Guy :

I'm sure it would be easier to test where ever the wires connect to the board or if there is a molex connector between the board and motor.

Customer:

ok i have only 2 wires on 1 -5

Customer:

i have there 26v on wire #1 but nothing on wire 5

Brian HVAC Guy :

Ok then your unit will only run the motor at two of it's available speeds. So you should have 24 volts between C on the motor and one of the two terminals that are on 1-5

Brian HVAC Guy :

If you have 230 volts at terminals L and N and 26 volts on terminals C and 1 then the motor should be running on it's low speed. (50% torque)

Customer:

im not geting anything

Customer:

how could i jump the unit to hi speed

Brian HVAC Guy :

So just so I understand, you do have 230 volts at L and N to the motor?

Customer:

ya

Brian HVAC Guy :

ok then the motor needs a 24 volt signal to C and 1,2,3 or 4. The motor torque applied from the motor is 50, 65, 85 and 100% as you give terminals 1 thru 4, 24 volts hot (with 24 volt common on C)

Brian HVAC Guy :

so 24 volts at C and 4 would be the motor it's highest speed

Customer:

ok im geting wire 1 and 5 with both 24v

Customer:

so the the motor blowen?

Brian HVAC Guy :

It's strange that they made a connection to terminal 5. that is a dummy terminal on the X13 motor. It does sound like either the motor or the motor module is burnt. I will give you a link to a manual I have that gives more troubleshooting techs. on that motor.

Customer:

ok

Brian HVAC Guy :

I may have to switch to the Q/A format to do this because I have the file on my pc and uploading using chat is iffy

Brian HVAC Guy :

Try that link and see if you get the manual and let me know

Customer:

i got it

Customer:

is there a reset swicth on the motor?

Brian HVAC Guy :

Ok great. no, there is no reset button.

Brian HVAC Guy :

it does cover more than just the X13 GE motor so be careful using the diagnostic guide and make sure what you try is indeed for your motor.

Customer:

ya im looking at it now but its just weird that the motor is geting the 230v and its geting the 24v on both wires

Brian HVAC Guy :

That may be a function of the air handler itself. it may give power to both speed wires, the motor would give priority to the highest speed given if given more than one command.

Brian HVAC Guy :

I wish I could find a decent manual for your air handler that would give me the sequence and wiring but it is no where to be found online and I don't have it in my archives either.

Brian HVAC Guy :

So chances are the sound you heard was the motor failing.

Customer:

wait... so if that the chace if i d/c the 1 wire the motor start or do i need to ground wire 1

Brian HVAC Guy :

No C is 24 volts common then you need 24 volts hot at one of the numbered connections except 5 that is a blank connection point

Customer:

ok man thanks for your help

Brian HVAC Guy :

Good luck and let me know if I can help further. Even after you rate this question you can come back to it for follow up questions that relate to this question at no additional charge. Thanks, -Brian

Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience: I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30 years.