Thehvacguy
Thehvacguy, LIC HVAC,Plumber
Experience:  Certified HVAC Universal Technician,Lic plumbing contractor, 28 yrs exp
63005973

Hello. I have a very old (1983) Bryant Heat Pump / AC unit

Hello. I have a very old (1983) Bryant Heat Pump / AC unit in a home we just bought. I cannot figure where to replace the air filter! There seems to be no logical place to remove an old one on the unit. The model numbers are: 517EN030010 and 5410J030 (not sure which is correct). Any idea where to replace the filter on this old unit, and what size ti requires? Help! Thanks!

Thehvacguy :

Hi my name isXXXXX will do my best to solve your problem. Reply to this post and I will reply back with help before rating, Thanks Garyc

Thehvacguy :

Is your furnace in the basement, or main level, or attic?

Customer:

Hi, Gary. Can you help?

Thehvacguy :

yes

Thehvacguy :

Customer:

In the crawlspace -- a tall crawlspace. House is on a hill. AC unit is outside.

Thehvacguy :

ok, you have supply registers (small, and these are the ones that air blows out of) then you have return' where air is sucked back to the furnace, these are much larger, and can also be on the floor or near ceiling.

Thehvacguy :

do you see the bigger return grills?

Customer:

Not there now. But, yes, I recall them.

Thehvacguy :

if you do take a flash light if needed as sometimes the filters are located behind these grills

Thehvacguy :

if so most of the time they will have hinges on one side, and latches to open them up on the other side so you can change them

Thehvacguy :

next place would be in the crawl space, and you would need to remove the furnace/air handler doors, and it would be in the blower compartment.

Customer:

OK. I looked at one -- no dice and no hinges (screws). I think there's another. Will check.So -- the filters may be in the return registers in the house, not in the unit like I'm used to?

Customer:

Or in the blower.

Customer:

How hard is it to remove the furnace / handler doors? (I didn't see any obvious ones.)

Thehvacguy :

last place it would be in the crawl space, and in the duct right before its hooked to the furnace, it may have a metal slide that looks like the duct itself, that you need to slide away to remove the filter

Thehvacguy :

you will have 2 doors upper an lower, you just slide them up and off

Customer:

Got it. Have seen those metal slides before on other units. Didn't see one last time.

Thehvacguy :

some units have a scew driver hold, so you just use a screw driver on the tabs and turn side ways and the doors will come right off

Customer:

Will try the doors and other return register.

Customer:

Got it.

Thehvacguy :

if its in the furnace/air handler itself, it will be in the blower compartment held in by a spring clasp usually

Thehvacguy :

let me know when you get home, if you need more help

Customer:

Is there a way to know for sure for my model number? I tried calling Bryant, but they were of no help.

Thehvacguy :

No it is up to the installer, where he decides to put the filter rack furnace/return duct/ return grill

Customer:

Oh joy! OK. I'll go hunt when I get there. It's a vacation home, so will be a few days. Thanks for your help!

Thehvacguy :

your welcome if you need more help after getting there just reply and i will reply back

Customer:

OK. Thanks.

Thehvacguy :

thank you