Jerry, Service Technician
Experience:  HVAC Technician. Hearth Products Specialty

my pellet stove will notlight the blower comes on but noa

my pellet stove will notlight the blower comes on but noa blue light flashes 4 times pellets
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.

Jerry :

Hello!

Jerry :

It looks like this is the same question. That is ok we can work on this one.

Customer:

hello

Jerry :

Are you comfortable with this format of chat? or would you like to seperate question and answer format?

Customer:

im ok with this

Jerry :

OK, First if this is actually a Heatilator Brand, I will need the model number.

Customer:

yes the serial number is XXXXX /p>

Jerry :

Model number is XXXXX PS 35? I don't need serial number.

Customer:

i beleive its a cab50

Jerry :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX please

Jerry :

Ok, the blue lights only show up with in the first 10 seconds after plugging in the stove correct?

Customer:

correct

Jerry :

Can you verify for me , by unplugging the stove for 30 seconds, then plugging in the stove, and watching the flashing blue lights, I need you to verify how many blinks there are in each sequence. Blink, Blink Blink pause etc.

Customer:

yes

Jerry :

c. There is also an internal blue light located in the control
box. When you plug in the appliance the blue light will
automatically start blinking. For model PS35 the blue
light should flash 6 times every 10 seconds for the
first 60 seconds after power up. For models PS50 and
CAB50 it should blink 2 times.

Customer:

4

Jerry :

The setting on the control box should be 2 blinks every ten seconds.

Customer:

how do you change it it blinks four times pauses then four times

Jerry :

There is a small dial on the control box that you can turn with a small screw driver.

Jerry :

Has this been serviced recently? Has the stove worked with the 4 blinks?

Customer:

it was yesterday and it was blinking the four times

Jerry :

I am not sure why the stove would be set at a setting of 4. That would generally be configured for a different model since the manufacturer uses this control box in many different models.

Jerry :

However this may...... or may not be the problem you are having with the stove not lighting. So first I would like you to change the setting to 2 before we proceed with the next step. Are you able to change it?

Customer:

turn screw counter clockwise?

Jerry :

• Unplug the appliance.
• Using #2 Phillips screw driver, 3/8” wrench, or 3/8”
socket loosen the three screws that hold the right upper
and lower side panels in place. You do not need to
remove the screws. Remove side panels by lifting up
and out.
• Use a #2 Phillips screw driver to remove the control box
retainer bracket and lift control box out of the junction
box.
• Using a ¼ inch flat head screw driver turn the rotary
switch until the desired number is XXXXX on the dial.
• Re install control box and plug in appliance.
• To confirm your selection is correct count the number
of times the blue light flashes.

Jerry :

Sorry, it doesn't matter which direction you go, if you can see inside the dial, you will see a small number indicating 2.

Customer:

ok it's blinking twice now

Jerry :

OK, Now, are you familiar with the red call light on your stove?

Customer:

theres ared light on

Jerry :

Ok, with the red light on, this means its calling for heat. Is any blower coming on? Where are we at in the lighting sequence?

Customer:

yes the blower is running and the blue light only blinks twice

Jerry :

Is the auger feeding any pellets into the stove firepot?

Customer:

no

Jerry :

The door is closed, the hopper lid is closed, and there is pellets in the stove?

Customer:

yes

Jerry :

Do you see snap disc number 2 on your stove?

Customer:

yes

Jerry :

Unplug the stove and push the button on the back side of this snap disc to see if it has been tripped,

Jerry :

You may hear a click when resetting this disc.

Jerry :

do you have a manual?

Customer:

no manual and they didn't seem tripped

Jerry :

Ok, I gave a link to a manual.

Jerry :

There are several things that can cause no pellets to drop

Jerry :

Do you have a multi meter and knowledge of using it?

Customer:

yes

Jerry :

The most common cause of no pellets feeding is a dirty or plugged up stove or chimney. Not enough air flow through the stove.

Jerry :

The vacuum switch needs to close to tell the auger to come on, Can you jump the wires on the vacuum switch to see if this is the problem?

Customer:

i bought the stove used and put all new piping on it it ran fine all threw the night

Jerry :

Just so you know this is 120v power going through the vacuum switch, so you will need to be careful with the jumper, and uplug the stove when doing this.

Jerry :

Could be blocked rubber tube going to vacuum switch, may be something jammed in the auger, Not letting it turn. We need to find out if the power is getting to the auger motor, or if its being stopped by either the vacuum switch or limit switch #2.

Jerry :

There is also a magnectic switch on the hopper door, that can cause an interuption of power to the feed system if its either out of place or the hopper lid is propped open.

Customer:

ok i broke the little tang of the snap switch so i'll call the repair guy thanks for your help!

Jerry :

Oh my! Ok, hopefully it wont be too much trouble for the fix, Thanks for using Just Answer!

Jerry, Service Technician
Experience: HVAC Technician. Hearth Products Specialty