Billy
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

Billy~ My furnace pilot light lights, stays on, the burners

Billy~ My furnace pilot light lights, stays on, the burners engage and everything shuts off in 30 to 60 seconds?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

Does the blower ever get to come on?

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. The Blower Motor was replaced a year ago.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

Does your furnace have an auto/on switch for blower?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

At the thermostat yes, Fan on/auto.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Can you please turn to "on" and verify blower runs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it runs

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
thank you.

Now leave in "on" position but turn heat on. Tell me if unit faults at 60 seconds again

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You want me to light the pilot turn the blower on then the heat?

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Yes.

I want to eliminate a "blower not coming scenario"

30 -60 seconds after lit is when the blower should come on. If it is not we could have a limit switch not telling the blower to come on.

If this is the case the blower "on" will confirm our thoughts on way or the other.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The pilot light lit, the burners lite, the blower was on and 20/30 seconds later burners and pilot shut down, I physically shut blower off.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

Unfortunately you have a weak gas valve.

OR....the flame is not staying on the thermocouple.

Watch the pilot flame to see if it wavers away from the thermocouple. If it does you may be able to adjust the pilot stronger.

If the flame is consistantly on the thermocouple...(and it is new) then you have a weak gas valve.

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

where is the gas valve and how do you adjust it?

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
The gas valve is the main component in the gas line.

Does your pilot tube go back to valve or just to a shut off on gas pipe?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

goes to a box that has the pilot knob on it

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
That is the gas valve.

BUT,,,we do NOT want to adjust anything on this box UNLESS the pilot is too small.

Next to the pilot tube will be a small screw head...under thaat screw will be a slotted regulator...that adjust the pilot. But as mentioned, especially on older units like this, do not start turning regulators unless we have to.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What are the standards of the pilot? It does not appear to be to small to me. It looks as if everything runs out of gas.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
The only possibilities with this type system..

The flame leaves the thermocouple
The thermocouple is bad
The gas valve is bad.

The standard is the the tip of the thermocouple must remain in constant contact with the flame.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What does it take to replace the gas valve?

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Pipe wrenches, pipe dope. If valve is different size then some fittings to retrofit.

Oh and a new gas valve...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is the box that the pilot knob is attached to and the gas line goes into, (just to verify again) ? And when I call for the part availability I will ask for a new Gas valve for my Model? PS love your dog, chocolate newfie?

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Correct.

Most likely you want a 24v gas valve. But when you call just provide make/model.

It is the box with the knob and Off/on/pilot positions.

Yes that is newf. Not many have seen the chocolate...they are used to black and Landseer.

Best friend....
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience: Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Made adjustments to the position of the pilot to the burners and it is working. Thanks!

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Excellent news.

If you need anything else just let me know. Have a good week

Billy