Douglas, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Manufacture Rep for Major Brand, Technical Trainer, NATE

Hello, Not sure if you can help me here but I just had a heatilator

Not sure if you can help me here but I just had a heatilator model NDV3630I installed to take the chill off in the basement. I finally convinced the company that installed the fireplace they installed the wrong blower. They will be here this week to install the correct blower for the model heatilator. The one thing I noticed is that the standard screen that comes with this model has a metal plate on the bottom of the screen. I found that with the screen installed airflow to the blower was severely impaired. My question (long winded, sorry), have you heard this complaint about this model heatilator.? Most gas fireplace screen have louvers to aid in higher capacity intake air. Is there any way to increase the airflow intake on this model with the standard screen installed? Thanks in advance.
Hi, I'm Douglas and I am here to help you resolve problems with your heating and cooling equipment.

What blower did they finally use? Was it the GFK21 or the GFK21B? If so, it should have come with a variable speed controller.

The screen is certainly more restrictive than normal louvers but I have not personally heard any complaints about this. It should be installed with a variable speed fan control (Rheostat) where one could adjust the speed to control airflow and ultimately noise.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Douglas. It was the GFK21B and has the rheostat. Maybe I'll buy an intake register from the hardware store and incorporate it into the existing screen.