Douglas
Douglas, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Manufacture Rep for Major Brand, Technical Trainer, NATE
27672032

Lastr hear, our condo had a new Burnham Alpine high-efficiency

Customer Question

Lastr hear, our condo had a new Burnham Alpine high-efficiency direct vent gas boiler installed in the basement, with side venting.
Problem: Neighbors are complaining about noise from the side-vent.

Is there any way to quiet that noise?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Douglas replied 10 months ago.
Hi, I'm Douglas and I am here to help you resolve problems with your heating and cooling equipment.What is the flue termination now? Is it just a straight pipe? If so is it PVC?Can you take a picture of the pipe outside?
Expert:  Douglas replied 10 months ago.
Is there a tee on the end of the vent pipe? ---------].
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi -- I don't have a smart phone so can't easily send you a photo.

There are 2 white PVC pipes, at different heights, each with a curve at the end.

I found this on the net -- looks somewhat like this.

Expert:  Douglas replied 10 months ago.
Ok.. I have the same problem finding pictures. The flue pipe is either 2 or 3" PVC pipe, the outside diameter of 2" pipe is like 2.5" and the 3 is closer to 3.5". If your vent terminates like the picture, go to lowes or Home Depot and pick up a short piece of pipe and cut it down to 3" long and pick up a tee for the end...

Free Web Proxy
Expert:  Douglas replied 10 months ago.
The installation instructions actually call for it but many installers don't read the instructions for some reason. You don't need to glue this since its outside
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Does the T at the end make it more quiet? What's the purpose of it?

Expert:  Douglas replied 10 months ago.
It serves two purposes, it cuts down on the howling noise by knocking the velocity down and the flue gases rise and remaining noise is redirected. It also helps the boiler operation in a high wind scenario.
Expert:  Douglas replied 10 months ago.
Your pipe and fitting might cost 8 bucks total
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Okay, thanks. We'll try this.

Is there any way to also insulate the pipes, or is that a bad idea. Even if insulating them (the white pipes on the outside of the building) is doable, would that help quiet the noise?

Expert:  Douglas replied 10 months ago.
No, it won't help for the noise at all. It's all internal. Although if I were going to insulate them to protect the condensation from freezing, you would use a product called armor flex or rubatex. Put the tee on and that will help
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Okay. Thank you very much! Have a good evening.

~Diane

Expert:  Douglas replied 10 months ago.
You too Diane. I usually have to deal with this similar complaint locally at least twice a year.If I have been helpful, please consider leaving a positive rating..,thanks!
Douglas, HVAC Technician
Experience: Manufacture Rep for Major Brand, Technical Trainer, NATE
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hello again, Douglas. It turns out we do have that "T" at the end of the pipes (hadn't looked at it for a while); it opens up towards the sky/down toward the ground.

Any other suggestions for quieting the "hair dryer" type noise?

Searching on the net, quite a few people have the same problem where buildings are close together (we have multilevel attached row housing).

But, alas, no one seems to have any solutions....

~Diane

Expert:  Douglas replied 10 months ago.
It's already got a tee? Hmmm the only other thing to consider is removing the tee (cut pipe if glued on) and trying a 45 degree elbow pointed downward. We don't want a full 90 degree elbow because we don't want the combustion gases recirculating into the intake,

The noise is a result of high velocity. Thinking out loud, we can reduce velocity by converting the pipe to a larger diameter pipe. So if it's a 2" pipe, we could increase it to 3", however if its already, you can't increase it anymore.

If this just a natural resonance between two close buildings, it may be difficult to overcome as long as that's where the pipe is placed
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It's already a large pipe. Sigh.... But thanks for trying to help.

~Diane

Expert:  Douglas replied 10 months ago.
I'll opt out and let's see if someone else has an answer, sorry
Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 10 months ago.

I’m Michelle, and I’m moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from another one of the professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Michelle-Moderator