type2technician
type2technician, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Heating and a/c repairs
63503631

Weve got a Coleman Evcon furnace #BGM07512BX that normally

We've got a Coleman Evcon furnace #BGM07512BX that normally works fine, but the blower motor doesn't like to start up the first time in the morning. After it finally starts turning on the first heat cycle, it works fine the rest of the day. I tested a couple things...the motor spins freely and gets 120V when it's supposed to. With the unit being about 16 years old, does this sound like the motor and/or the capacitor are ready to get replaced?

type2technician :

either the capacitor needs to be replaced or the control board is not sending power to the fan motor consistently.

Customer:

I've had the voltmeter connected to the wire to the motor for a number of days and the voltage to the motor is always around 120V +/- .5V when the relay is kicked on and the Voltage is 0V when the relay turns off. It sounds like the capacitor has gone weak and isn't "kicking" the motor on first time in the morning when the unit is cold?

type2technician :

Yes I would advise you to replace the capacitor.