spivco
spivco, HVAC Technician
Experience:  18 years experience. Hvac and electrical licenses.
65783193

I just installed a Honeywell RTH6350 programmable thermostat

I just installed a Honeywell RTH6350 programmable thermostat and do ot know what to do with the jumper wire from the White-Rodgers.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  spivco replied 10 months ago.

spivco :

Hi. I'm Joe and I will be glad to help you out.

spivco :

What does the jumper wire connect on the old thermostat?

Customer:

It connected to RH & RC on the White Rodgers

spivco :

There should be one on the new tstat between R and Rc

Customer:

There is an R and a separate RC next to each other. I connected the RC wire to RC but did not feel comfortable connecting the jumper to RC with the existing wire. On the old thermostate the wires were on opposite sides of the screw.

spivco :

Did you have separate wires going to Rh and Rc on the old one, or 1 wire to Rc then a jumper to Rh?

Customer:

There was one wire to RC and the jumper to RH & RC

Customer:

There was also a C connection which the honeywell states should not be used.

spivco :

ok. Put the jumper between R and Rc on the new one and we can test it.

spivco :

Right. I would just tape the C wire up

Customer:

Ok..I have to turn off the power again...can you hold?

spivco :

Sure. I'll stand by

Customer:

Just to confirm, I should place one end of the jumper in the RC with the existing wire?

spivco :

correct

Customer:

Ok, think I have it connected.

spivco :

Ready to test it?

Customer:

Going to turn power back on now

spivco :

ok

Customer:

Okay ready

Customer:

I have turned thermostat up and waiting to see if heater comes on

spivco :

ok

Customer:

Yes, it has just started!!

spivco :

Great!

Customer:

Thank you Mr. Spivco...I was hesitant to pay for this service, but considering I paid $89 for an HVAC company to tell me the thermostat was bad I will not complain. So, the two wires begin together will not cause a problem?

spivco :

Not at all. They have them separated because some systems need 2 wires hooked up, but most do require the jumper.

Customer:

Wonderful and I can feel the heat coming through..I appreciate your expertise in this matter.

spivco :

You're welcome. Have a great weekend!

Customer:

The same to you

spivco, HVAC Technician
Experience: 18 years experience. Hvac and electrical licenses.