Billy
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

My furnace will not turn on after changing the thermostat,

My furnace will not turn on after changing the thermostat, but will operate manually. I changed the thermostat because the old one was cycling the furnace too rapidly (1 -5 min runs) . Wiring pics can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/V7u34#1

Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

are you ready?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry? Am I ready for what?

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
To proceed, I didnt see yu were online.

At the furnace I see there is no wire on W terminal. The wire on W in thermostat...what does it go to in furnace?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ah.. definitely.. W on the stat connect to Y on the furnace (unchanged from old stat)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry.. i was incorrect... W on the stat connect to the terminal seen in the second pic.

It's labeled TH-TR (beside black wire)

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Sorry just saw the black wire.

Now on Y...are those wires...one from Y at thermostat and the other goes outside to ac unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There are two wires at the Y terminal at the furnace, The orange goes to the Y at the stat, and the white wire leaves the furnace and goes to the AC compressor

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
The black wire on the gas valve left terminal....is that coming out of the thermostat wire cable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, it connects to Rc on the stat.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
OK that is not where we want it.

Please bear with me as this wiring is not the norm for a heat/cool system.

we know the following:

red from furnace r goes to thermostat r
yellow (your orange) goes from furnace y to thermostat y
then we have a green Or what your color is) goes from furnace g to thermostat g

so far so good?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, this is accurate so far.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
ok...what terminal was the black wire on previously in old stat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Also on Rc.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

you see rc is 24v for cooling from a separate trans former. rc has nothing to do with the heat cycle...how about red...? was it on a r terminal as well?

do you have the model of the old stat

update...I think I have it now...

old stat have 2 different r's?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Old Stat had R and Rc, The new one (honeywell rth6400) also has both. By default the R and Rc were jumpered, but the instructions said if the old stat had distinct wire for both to remove the jumper.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Ok I believe your heat was wired backwards before...it worked but took a backwards path instead of forward.

Try this...and I hope we have not fried one of the trans formers.

White from furnace to R (no jumper)
Red from furnace to Rc
yellow (orange) from furnace Y to thermostat Y
Furnace green to thermostat G
Black from the gas valve left terminal to thermostat W

Try this and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Apologies for the delay.. my fathers friend (who does hvac) just called and agreed that the circuits appear to be miswired.

Here's what he had me do (while breaker off): disconnect the Red wire from the stat, still at the stat, take black wire from Rc and put it into R (without jumper)

So now the red wire is not on anything in the stat, and is on R in the furnace. Black wire is on left valve terminal and R on the stat. The stat is set to heat, and the fan is on auto and the furnace appears to be responding to the stat.

Thoughts?

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Correct..

You see they added a fan control That is what has the r, g, y, c...before the heat only need just 2 wires from the gas valve.

So your red wire is 24v for cooling...it goes on Rc. That will control cooling and fan only.

The 2 wires from the gas valve go on r and w...that is all for the heat.

Rc = cooling circuit
R = heat circuit.

hook red to rc and you are all set.

Billy

Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience: Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wiring unchanged form previous post the fan will not manually turn on, Connecting red wire to Rc as you suggested allows for manual fan control.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks!