Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

Rheem Weather King 80PS10ECR01 furnace.

I have a Rheem 80PS10ECR01 furnace. The furnace keeps shutting off and the blower kicks in cold air. I replaced the spark today but the same thing happened...it would come on, give heat for a few moments, and then the furnace would shut off and blow cold air.

I am wondering if the plumber installed a unit that was too large (its installed in a triple decker, and this unit is solely for the 1st floor...four 9x12 rooms, hallway and small bath...the other units have vented space heaters).

Any recommendation on what could be wrong? Also, if it is too large any way I can set it so that the heat doesn't turn off so quickly?

It was installed about 5 or 6 years ago. There was a complaint from a former tenant that it kept going off and on, but he was getting heat.

I called a plumber last week and he did a tune up. But since it wasn't working properly he came back and told me it might be the sparker and we should try replacing that before going with a new board. After a week of hearing that he was waiting for the part to come in, I decided to ask him what part he was looking for, and then I went to a plumbing supply place and got it myself. Still not working properly and I'd like to get the tenant some heat.

Thanks

Tim H. :

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Thanks for the opportunity to help!

Tim H. :

Hello there

Tim H. :

Are you there/

Customer:

Hi Tim!

Tim H. :

I'm sorry you are having trouble with your furnace. Have you tried cleaning the flame sensor?

Customer:

I am not sure what the flame sensor is. I did replace what i believe is called the sparker or ignitor. Is cleaning the flame sensor normally included in a tune up?

Tim H. :

Yes, it should be done at least annually. Very common issue

Tim H. :

The flame sensor may look similar to this.

Tim H. :

It could also be staright instead of curved as this one is

Tim H. :

sorry, straight

Customer:

YES! That's exactly what I replaced. We thought it might be cracked or something.

Tim H. :

Ok, are burners lighting smoothly all the way across?

Customer:

We heard the click and we go heat for a few minutes only.

Customer:

Yes. They light very nicely.

Tim H. :

Are you getting an LED flash code when furnace shuts down?

Customer:

Not sure. I do not have a manual. :-(

Tim H. :

The nice thing about the new furnaces is they literally tell you what is wrong by a series of flash codes

Customer:

Okay...Would this be on the electronic board (the LED)?

Tim H. :

They can be seen through a window in the door

Tim H. :

You will see a flash code. You count the number of flashes and then compare to a flash code legend posted on the door

Customer:

OK. I will try that. Thank you Tim. One other question...do you know whoI can contact for a manual?

Tim H. :

I don't immediately have the flash code legend for this furnace, but can get it

Customer:

THANK YOU! that would send me well on my way. :-)

Tim H. :

I can also round up a manual for you, if you'd like

Tim H. :

OK, I will get this to you sometime tomorrow. Is that OK?

Customer:

Yes. Please send to my email address. At least I have something that I can do and read. Tomorrow is great!

Customer:

Very good. I will give you excellent rating.

Tim H. :

I can't send to your email as they won't let us have personal contact with customers but can post a link to both right on this chat

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you!

When you get a chance, please post the link.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Yes, here is the link to the manual on this unit. Gives you troubleshooting techniques, wiring diagrams, etc.