Drcool
Drcool, HVAC Technician
Experience:  i have been an A/C tech for the past 12 Years. working on window types, split type, and package
11923974

I have a problem with my heil 5000 heating and cooling system.

I have a problem with my heil 5000 heating and cooling system. My wife turned the thermostat up on heat today and now there is a fan that is constantly running that will only cut off when I trip the breaker. I thought it was in the thermostat so I connected the wires there seems to not be any fire going through the red wire. Could you plz help me

Drcool :

Hello, Thank you for asking. Can you clarify please what wires you connected on the thermostat?

Customer:

Yes Sir, I connect the yellow and the red to see if the air conditioner would come on, then I connect the red and white to see if the heater would come on. Nothing happened

Drcool :

hello , would you happen to have a meter to actually measure voltages?

Customer:

No Sir

Drcool :

ok. so now, if you would return all the wires on the thermostat and install back the thermostat, we would know if the inddor fan would still run.

Drcool :

if there is no power to the red wire, the indoor fan should really not run at all.

Customer:

Correct they are all returned and the indoor fan runs constant

Drcool :

what about with the wires disconnected, then turn the breaker on, would the fan still run?

Customer:

heres the thing I pulled the red wire out of the thermostat cut on the switch and the fan was still running

Customer:

correct the fan still runs constantly

Drcool :

ok. so i think the fan relay is the problem. It could have welded its contact.

Customer:

What do you recommend that I do

Drcool :

if it is just sticky, a temporary remedy would just to give it a tap and it might release its contact but if it is welded, it would be better to replace it.

Customer:

Is there a certain place that its located is it on the inside fan or the outside

Drcool :

it should be inside the air handling unit. It could look something like these . Please click the blue word

Customer:

Ok then this will be the outside fan unit correct?

Drcool :

it should be inside the air handling unit, the indoor fan unit. This is the fan that always runs right? Not the outdoor unit.

Customer:

correct

Drcool :

ok.. So that would be inside the indoor unit.

Drcool :

there would be electrical boxes inside the inddor unit and there would be the location of the fan relay. If you would trace the wires of the fan motor of the indoor unit, it would be conencted to this relay.

Customer:

Thanks I tried tapping it , Ill probably change it out

Drcool :

did it stopped when you tap it?

Customer:

I have a switch that I have to hold to keep it running I will hold it and tap

Drcool :

ok.

Customer:

Na the when i press the switch it just keeps blowing

Customer:

I pulled it off and gave it a few good taps

Drcool :

ok. when you pulled it off, the fan stops this time?

Customer:

No Sir I still left the wires connected to it though

Customer:

i dont know if that makes a difference

Drcool :

oh...it would...if you disconnect the wires, I ma sure the fan would no longer run. But, after tapping it, give it a try and see if the fan would still run.

Customer:

ok

Drcool :

Just post what ever happens next. thank you for using this service.

Customer:

thank you Sir

Drcool :

You are very much welcome. Good luck on the repair.