Billy
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

rheem 90 plus gas furnace. Not turning on. Checked the 3

rheem 90 plus gas furnace. Not turning on. Checked the 3 troubleshooting lights. Both green led lights on solid. Orange led light not on. Tried shutting furnace off and on. No change.

Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 9 months ago.

My name is Billy.

What is the model number?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I'm not sure if it is not 90 plus... I've used this service once before for the furnace if you can locate it that way, or tell me where to look.

Expert:  Billy replied 9 months ago.
Thank you.

There are revisions throught the years,

Just aprox how old and we can started?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I am ready to start and it was manufactured in 1992 as best I can tell. Labels on panels have 92 prefixes... No obvious model number though

Expert:  Billy replied 9 months ago.
Thank you,

Can you tell me when thermostat is turned up and power is on...if there is 24v from terminal w to terminal c on the circuit board?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I have an analog volt meter from radio shack. New battery in it but I don't know how to read it. Switched it to RX 1K ohm setting and put connectors into the connection for the ignitor. Needle went from 0 (left) to far right... which I assumed means the connection is not broken on the ignitor.

If you can instruct me with that info I can check voltage on the terminals.

Expert:  Billy replied 9 months ago.
Do you have a volt setting, AC~?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yes. Opposite side in red, AC with a V after it.

Expert:  Billy replied 9 months ago.
great...set to that...and then check an outlet to test.

verify 115v or so on meter

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

3 settings: 1000, 150 and 15. Which one do I use and do I simply insert the prongs into an outlet?

Expert:  Billy replied 9 months ago.
set to 150.

Then yes...one meter lead in each side of outlet

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

ok, I did it and the needle went to approx. 800 out of 1000 on scale. Also there is a dial on the side of the device. I have that about in the middle.

Expert:  Billy replied 9 months ago.
what is the make model number of the meter
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Radio Shack volt meter. Only number on it says 05A06. Bought it some years ago, never used it. Dial on side says ohms adjust. Pretty cheap as I recall.

Expert:  Billy replied 9 months ago.
Ok on the 150 scale on the front of meter...there should be 3 different lines to follow and we want the 150 scale

what does that line read when testing with meter at outlet

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yes I had it set to the 150. Put the prongs in a wall outlet and needle went to 800.

Expert:  Billy replied 9 months ago.

Ok, at least we know it moves with ac power.

Now remove furnace doors and tape the blower door switch down.

Then turn thermostat to heat and up.

Then use meter to check the thermostat wire terminals on the board in furnace. R to c and W to c.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

sorry for the delay. had to re-attach the ignitor. Checked both with gas on and off. both read about 200 on the acv meter of the scale. I also noticed that now the "ok" led was flashing twice in succession when I turned the system back on.

Expert:  Billy replied 9 months ago.
when you read 200 w to c was the exhaust fan running in the top that attaches to exhaust vent?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Nothing running at all. Hear slight buzz from panel. Read manual about the "ok" led chart about blinking twice. It says pressure switch stuck open.

Expert:  Billy replied 9 months ago.
correct...the pressure switch reads open because the exhaust fan is not turning on.

Can you try to access the exhaus motor to spin it to see if stuck?

Can you use meter to see if 115v is going to the motor?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Do you mean the blower motor in the upper compartment? It has an electric motor in front that seems abnormally hot. If so, I think I can remove the screws holding it in place to check it.

Expert:  Billy replied 9 months ago.
That is the one...hopefully something is just stuck in there...power off...
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

removed motor. wheel fan stiff to move but does. removing back casing to see if i can manipulate it more. Or would that be a waste of time?

Expert:  Billy replied 9 months ago.
can you get some oil down the shaft sides?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I will check. still removing back casing

Expert:  Billy replied 9 months ago.
Ok,

this is your issue.

It obviously has power to it because it was hot.

But it was seized resulting in no air flow thus open pressure switch.

Get that motor freed up, oiled etc...and you may be able to save it. If not you will need to replace the motor or assembly.

I thank you for your extreme patience.

Billy

Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience: Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I replaced the blower motor, which is working, but still orange led light and no glow from ignitor...

Expert:  Billy replied 9 months ago.
Have you checked that the vent pipes are clear?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

A little confused, sorry. Are you still working with me on my furnace?

Expert:  Billy replied 9 months ago.
yep on other thread
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Too many windows open. It looked like it was ended so I closed it... If we could continue on this one please.

Expert:  Billy replied 9 months ago.
no problem

have you removed vent pipes and tried unit just to the point ignitor starts?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Exhaust disconnected at furnace exterior. Should I have the gas on when I attempt this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I removed the vent pipe at the unit. Turned the system on both with the gas on and off. Good airflow leaving unit. No orange led light present. Same green code. No glow from ignitor...

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

You still with me billy?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

billy I need to know if you are still assisting me or not...

Expert:  Billy replied 9 months ago.
I apologize for delay.

Have you poked the barbed fitting clear that the tube attaches to?