Comfort Specialist
Comfort Specialist, Designer, Estimator & Technician
Experience:  Master HVAC & Gas, Air Balance, LG Master Commissioner, University of North Carolina Certificate holder for Industrial Ventilation Design.
66600370

I have a Trane Taystat 500 thermostat that Im replacing with

Customer Question

I have a Trane Taystat 500 thermostat that I'm replacing with an Insteaon 2441th thermostat. How does the wiring match up?

For the Insteon I got:
24V Com - 24VAC Common
24RH - 24VAC Return
W1 - Heat Stage 1
W2 - Heat Stage 2
G - Fan
Y1 - AC Compressor Stage 1
Y2 - AC Compressor Sage 2

The Trane does not have as good of labeling. Along the top row it has (left to right:
R
R
∩ - Intersection

Along the bottom row it has (left to right)
F - not connected
Y
X2
W1
G
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Comfort Specialist replied 11 months ago.

Wvfan79 :

Hello there! I'm Norman but you can call me Norm. Let's see what I can do to get you some answers today. I'm ready to get started whenever you are.

Wvfan79 :

Hope you are doing well today.

Wvfan79 :

I can help you with your cross reference but I've noticed you don't currently have a common wire. Do you have an extra wire in the bundle in the wall?

Customer:

I'll double check that right now.

Wvfan79 :

ok

Customer:

Yes, i found one other wire, that is disconnected

Wvfan79 :

Ok, here's what we need to do first.

Wvfan79 :

We need to go to the furnace and find this spare wire up there. Then we need to strip it back and connect it to the C terminal on the furnace that way we have a common wire for the new thermostat. If you have trouble locating it let me know. Please turn the main power off first before trying to change any wiring.

Customer:

I cannot locate the C terminal on the furnace wiring circuit board. It has B, W3, W2, W1, G, Y Lo, Y, O, BK, R, T.

Wvfan79 :

Does the B have a wire already on it going to the outdoor unit?

Customer:

Yes, it has two blue wires connected. One going to the thermostat, the other outside

Wvfan79 :

Where does this wire go on the old thermostat?

Wvfan79 :

B terminal?

Customer:

The second R on the top

Wvfan79 :

Oh wow. Okay. So are the two R's on your thermostat jumped together?

Customer:

It does look something like that the first R is connected to the red wire, which corresponds to the R on the furnace

Wvfan79 :

Ok we need to make sure this wire that is connected to B at the furnace is connected to the 24v COM on the new thermostat.

Wvfan79 :

Note the color.

Wvfan79 :

I will then provide you the other cross references to continue.

Wvfan79 :

Be sure power is off to the system before you change over the wiring.

Wvfan79 :

Seems like you already have the Common wire we needed. Sorry to send you searching.

Wvfan79 :

Ok, the first (red) R needs to go to new 24vR

Wvfan79 :

The one you had on B goes to new 24COM

Wvfan79 :

The old F will be capped off.

Wvfan79 :

The old Y will go to new Y1

Wvfan79 :

The old x2 is not used.

Wvfan79 :

The old w1 goes to new W1

Wvfan79 :

The old G goes to the new G.

Wvfan79 :

The old X2 terminal shouldn't have had anything on it anyways.

Customer:

The old X2 is currently connected to W2 on the furnace.

Wvfan79 :

ahhh. So connect this to the W2 on the new thermostat.

Customer:

Thank you so much. I'm wiring now.

Wvfan79 :

No problem at all.

Customer:

What should i do with the wire that's connected to O on the furnace. I said it looked like the upside-down U (intersection), but now I can see the bottom part of the O on the old thermostat was worn off. The new thermostat does not have an O

Wvfan79 :

Ok, one sec. Does your outdoor unit run when you're heating and cooling?

Wvfan79 :

You kept saying Furnace and you're wiring coincided with a furnace. What you're saying now sounds like you have a electric heat pump.

Customer:

Yes, sorry; it is an electric heat pump

Wvfan79 :

Darn. This thermostat is a 2heat/2cool conventional model. Not meant for heat pumps.

Wvfan79 :

Sorry I didn't catch that until right now but didn't see anything about an O terminal in your description.

Customer:

Ah... so then I'm going to have to take it back and get a different model then?

Wvfan79 :

Yes you need the heat pump model.

Wvfan79 :

Multi-stage heat pump model I should say.

Wvfan79 :

The wiring is pretty much the same except the old O goes to the new O or O/B and the old W2 will go to the new E terminal. The old W1 will go to the new AUX. All the rest should stay the same.

Wvfan79 :

Depending on the thermostat you buy, you may need to read the installer setup and change the system type to multi stage heat pump.

Wvfan79 :

I am going to have to step away from the site for awhile and may not be here when you get back. Please reply if you need more help later. If I can't help I'll opt out and let someone else step in and help.

Wvfan79 :

If you get back and all is well with the wiring please remember to rate your experience so the request is finalized.

Wvfan79 :

I'm back online. Keep me in the loop if you can.

Customer:

It looks line Insteon does not have a model for Heat Pump, so I'm going to have to go with a different brand. I'm considering the Venstar T6800

Wvfan79 :

Sounds good. Yes you'll need the multi-stage heat pump one for certain.

Customer:

How would the wiring go for the T6800? I'm confised at the W1/0/B part.
The 6 Wire, 1 Stage Cooling, 2 Stage Heat wiring for the T6800 lists:

R 24VAC Power
C 24V
AC Common
W1/O/B Reversing Valve
Y1 1st Stage Compressor (Cool or Heat)
W2 Aux Heat
G Fan

This is what is currently connected:
Old Thermostat Curcuit board Wire color
24 Com B light blue
24R R Red
W1 W1 White
Y Y Yellow
0 0 Orange
X2 W2 Black
G G Green

Customer:

Sorry, I accentally changed the currently connected one. It's really:This is what is currently connected:
Old Thermostat Curcuit board Wire color
R B light blue
R R Red
W1 W1 White
Y Y Yellow
0 0 Orange
X2 W2 Black
G G Green

Wvfan79 :

Ok, give me a minute to review and clarify.

Wvfan79 :

Sorry I've had a lot going on here this afternoon. Looking now, sorry for the delay.

Wvfan79 :

The old X2 goes to W2

Wvfan79 :

The old G goes to new G

Wvfan79 :

The old Y1 goes to new Y

Wvfan79 :

The old R Com goes to the C terminal.

Wvfan79 :

The old R red goes to the new R with a jumper to Rc if it has it.

Wvfan79 :

The old O goes to the new O

Wvfan79 :

The old W1 goes to the new AUX

Wvfan79 :

Wait, All of your post confused me. I'm looking and two seperate post.

Wvfan79 :

I'm having all types of chat problems, I'm sorry.

Wvfan79 :

Ok, I have the Venstar wiring pulled up now, this will help.

Wvfan79 :

The old R (red wire) goes to the new R terminal.

Wvfan79 :

The old B (blue wire) goes to the new C terminal.

Wvfan79 :

The old W1 wire will go to the new W2 terminal

Wvfan79 :

The old W2 wire will go to the new W3 terminal

Wvfan79 :

The old O wire will go to the new O/B terminal.

Wvfan79 :

The old Y1 wire will go to the new Y1 terminal.

Wvfan79 :

The old Y2 wire will go to the new Y2 terminal.

Wvfan79 :

The old G wire will go to the new G terminal.

Wvfan79 :

Make sure you follow the installation setup guide and select the multi-stage heating and cooling system.

Customer:

I do not have a Y2 wire, I do have an X2 wire, but it connected to W2 on the heat pump

Wvfan79 :

Crap I'm looking at the old thermostat again.

Wvfan79 :

Man all these different letters are getting to me, must be getting tired, lol. Sorry.

Wvfan79 :

Ok I'm sorry, Here we go.

Wvfan79 :

The old Red R goes to the new R terminal.

Wvfan79 :

The old Rb (blue wire) goes to the new C terminal.

Wvfan79 :

The old O wire goes to the new O/B terminal.

Customer:

lol no problem. I definitely understand.

Wvfan79 :

The old F is not used.

Wvfan79 :

The old Y goes to the new Y1

Wvfan79 :

The old x2 goes to the new W2

Wvfan79 :

Scratch that move x2 to W3

Wvfan79 :

Put the old W1 on new W2

Wvfan79 :

Old G to new G.

Wvfan79 :

Old O to new O/B

Customer:

Alright, this is what I got; does it look right:

Customer:

Old Thermostat Curcuit board Wire color New Thermostat
R B light blue C
R R Red R
W1 W1 White W2
Y Y Yellow Y1
0 0 Orange O/B
X2 W2 Black W3
G G Green G

Wvfan79 :

Yes

Wvfan79 :

Looks great!

Customer:

Thank you so much. That helped a lot!

Wvfan79 :

LOL, no problem.

Wvfan79 :

If you get her fired up and running please let me know.

Customer:

will do

Experience: Master HVAC & Gas, Air Balance, LG Master Commissioner, University of North Carolina Certificate holder for Industrial Ventilation Design.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The wiring you listed worked perfectly. Thank you. The only remaining problem I have is the fan won't turn on by itself... but it was doing that with the old thermostat as well. The fan does turn on with cooling and heating. Could that be the model of heat pump?

Expert:  Comfort Specialist replied 10 months ago.
Sorry for the slow response. I've been out of town for a few days.

To address the fan issue you would need to go to the indoor unit and check the connection to the circuit board. Make sure that Green (G) wire from the thermostat G terminal is connected at the control board. When you switch the fan switch to ON 24v is send down the green wire to the G terminal which triggers the fan relay. Check that out, if connected you may want to try swapping in another wire in case that one is broken somewhere.

So glad to hear you're up and going.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes, the wire is good... and actually after I took off the cover and let the Fan run, I realized it did turn on, just at a really low setting. I looked around and couldn't find any dip switches for changing the airflow for the fan by itself. I did see a dip switch for "airflow adjustment", but it doesn't seem to affect the fan when it's on by itself. There is also a switch for airflow with aux heat, but that's also unrelated. I'm beginning to wonder if it's the design of the heat pump to not allow the fan to run at high speed without the cooling/heating.

I was trying to send a picture, but I can't seem to get a good picture of it... too dark and flash makes it to bright. The model number is twe040e130a0, if that helps though.

I would need the model number in order to be able to help with airflow settings. Also, you may want to open a new question as this one may time out as it gets older.