R.G.
R.G., HVAC Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience as HVAC technician, state certified contractor.
66036083

Hello, Last month I had a new Trane HVAC system installed

Last month I had a new Trane HVAC system installed at my home. This was a complete replacement of the AC, coil, and furnace. The furnace is a down draft XR95, the AC is an EXR 16. The AC works perfectly. Today I checked the furnace to verify operation before the heating season and to remove any residual odor from the new furnace. The furnace had no problem heating the house from 71 to 75 degrees in about 45 minutes and appeared to be operating well - good heat output, very quiet operation.

However I noticed that the diagnostic LED would flash steadily (fast flash, thermostat calling for heat) for about 10 minutes, then it would flash 4 times per cycle for about 3 minutes presumably due to high output temperature. After that normal flashing repeated. This occurred over the full time the furnace operated (10 minutes normal, 2 minutes over-temp). The blower remained on the whole time and the only way to notice the over-temp is to look at the LED or to feel a slightly cooler air flow out of a register. After the temperature was at the setpoint, the furnace shut down normally and the diagnostic LED was flashing steadily (slow flash, thermostat not calling for heat).

Does this sound like normal operation considering that the house was fairly warm when I ran the furnace? Do you see any safety issues operating this furnace? Does this indicate that adjustments or additional troubleshooting by an HVAC professional is needed?

Thank you,
Tony Burgarino
Category: HVAC
Expert:  R.G. replied 11 months ago.

R.G. : Hi, I'm R.G., sorry you're having trouble today. I will do my best to assist you in resolving your issue.
R.G. : It doesn't sound like anything to be worried about. If temp reaches high limit it will shutdown furnace and flash code and power would have to be cycled to reset. If you do have this problem first make sure all registers are open and not blocked and that intake filter is clean.
R.G. : The motor can be set at higher speed also to lower air temp. If necessary.
R.G. : As long as its not cutting off on high temp. I see no problem. If it does I would contact installer to check airflow and fan speed.
R.G. : With it being new unit under warranty installer shouldnt hesitate to come back out and check unit If you have any questions on its performance.
R.G., HVAC Technician
Experience: 20 yrs. experience as HVAC technician, state certified contractor.